Analysis of the Pros/Cons of Wide Baffles, case Study: Grimm LS-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It depends, doesn’t it, on what “wide” is. And it’s the classic “baffle step” problem. At the “narrow” extreme the “solution” is simply go Omni (if room and placement permit), at the “wide” it’s “infinite baffle” or “waveguide” (as with corner loading). In between you either go dipole or, as you are discussing here, move the “step” up or down a bit in frequency to “adjust” the coloration to taste without resolving the underlying problem.

I'm currently experimenting with a two-way "wide baffle and horn" center channel . . . the baffle is effectively the full width of the screen above it. That moves the "step" to below the voice range and eliminates the problem. The combination of woofer and horn directivity and some peculiarities of room geometry means essentially no early reflections, and the "image" is precise and pinned to the screen from anywhere in the listening area.

It's not a "practical" solution for the Left and Right channels though . . . I'm staying dipole for those.

Believe me, I'm far from an expert. Very far!

The articles I linked to are step by step instructions with Acourate. I'll be happy to help - IF I can...of course :)
There is also an Acourate yahoo group with very helpful folks, including the man behind Acourate. I'm not affiliated in any way, BTW, just a satisfied customer.

I could not calculate a passive xo. Since discovering this I've gone active and going into speaker building mode. A lot of fun!

Which software versions of Acourate do you need to do digital crossovers and room correction? As I understand the developer is quite helpful in private communication, but IMHO I find the website itself a bit lacking in detail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.