Building a non T-line Thor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings -
First time poster, and let me say that I'm really impressed with this forum. I'm brand new to DIY speakers, but I have been an owner of some factory-direct internet speakers for some time now, so I'm not completely new to "alternative" audio. I'm considering buying some new speakers, I won't be building the cabinets myself though. One kit that I like alot is the Seas Oden. I read through the long thread on the Thor that BrianGT posted.

I plan to use my speakers with a pair of matching subs using a Marchand electronic x-over, so low bass isn't an issue. (I will probably need some help with designing those too! :) ) As such, I can't see any reason to use the T-line design. Having said that, I'd rather not mess around with speaker stands. And the project I envision includes matching height sub towers (sort of Genesis or old-school Infinity style) using multiple bass drivers. (Probably 2 x 12" in each one, but still up in the air, 3x10?) So, what if you built the regular Oden, but extended the cabinet to make it a floor stander? I'd keep the upper portion sealed and ported to the Oden specs, so the drivers would be in the same airspace. The only change would be that the front baffle would be longer. Would this upset the MTM design? If anyone wants to suggest other MTM kits that they prefer to the Oden I'd like to hear from you too.

Thanks very much and I look forward to learning a bunch from you folks.

J~

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.