fusion-12 tempest kit- skill level requirement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im asking this question for my cousin, its actually a three part question. Out of 1-10 how difficult is the cabinet to complete with the flat pack?

Same question for the crossover. Or would it be best to order the pre assembled board? He knows his way around some electronics, mainly mobile audio but doesn't have much exp soldering.

Thirdly how effective would a Bryston 0.5 and 2B power amp be with them? I mean would you be really yearning for more current in a medium room or in a yard thats roughly 150'x100' or could the bryston play them relatively loud having 98db?

I suggested getting a pro 3B but that wouldn't happen for a while being a starving student and all.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
You may not find many that have built one specific kit but you've had no replies so I'll give it a go.

Woodworking takes some skill, but the basics are taught in school (here anyway). If anything is going to be simple it would have to be a flat-pack in MDF.

I'd recommend some wood glue, clamps, try-square etc. and damp rags for dispensing of the excess glue. Don't use too much, just enough that it will squeeze slightly out the edges when you (lightly) clamp the parts. Let them be for at least an hour and preferrably a day before you remove the clamps.

Soldering also takes skill, but it's not rocket science. A crossover is a good place to learn as the parts are generally not too sensitive to static, or heat.

Make sure the parts are clean and make a mechanical joint to begin with before you solder. Have the iron hot enough that you can make a quick joint. Hold the iron on the joint and apply the solder to the joint, not the iron. There is probably a tutorial here somewhere.

You may not find many that have built one specific kit but you've had no replies so I'll give it a go.

Woodworking takes some skill, but the basics are taught in school (here anyway). If anything is going to be simple it would have to be a flat-pack in MDF.

I'd recommend some wood glue, clamps, try-square etc. and damp rags for dispensing of the excess glue. Don't use too much, just enough that it will squeeze slightly out the edges when you (lightly) clamp the parts. Let them be for at least an hour and preferrably a day before you remove the clamps.

Soldering also takes skill, but it's not rocket science. A crossover is a good place to learn as the parts are generally not too sensitive to static, or heat.

Make sure the parts are clean and make a mechanical joint to begin with before you solder. Have the iron hot enough that you can make a quick joint. Hold the iron on the joint and apply the solder to the joint, not the iron. There is probably a tutorial here somewhere.

+1

Also, the 2B should be plenty of power. 60 watts into a 98db pair of speakers will give you around 110db at 10 feet, which exceeds THX reference level (and probably your tolerance level) by a healthy margin.

The flat packs are fairly easy to build, I've seen many reports from people able to successfully complete them with glue and some tape to hold the panels together while they dry overnight.

Apart from soldering I presume the crossover itself is not very complicated being clearly marked and instructed? Im not the best solderer but can well enough to offer some help there.

He (my cousin) has built some mobile sub enclosures that are not too bad with a little silicone sealer here and there lol. He used a circular saw to make the cuts which isn't exactly ideal compared to a table saw with a good fence. Cuts wouldn't be a concern with the flat pack anyways. I vote he pushes the button and gets the kit. Then I can hear the speakers for myself because Im also interested in that kit myself.

He does a little DJing for private parties but the bryston is the largest amp in his current arsenal, 110 DB might be, should be adequate on a temporary level I would think.

Might have to go to the US and pick up in Buffulo NY. It says free shipping but Im sure that doesnt cover into Canada. Has anyone had them shipped to our side?

One other small question, I thought I seen the same kit only with a closed box version. Does one exist or did it was it not as popular and discontinued?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.