Replacement 6.5 inch woofer for broken SoundCraft Absolute 2 Monitor Speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2015, 02:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Replacement 6.5 inch woofer for broken SoundCraft Absolute 2 Monitor Speaker

Hi
I have a blown woofer and as the speakers were 2nd hand need the cheapest option for a replacement. An Audax HM 170 Z18 was suggested but is far too dear for me - wondered if you could suggest any other same size woofers that I could fit easily as a replacement? 2nd hand is fine. Thanks!
Old 5th November 2015, 04:46 PM   #2
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Since this driver was made by audax the only one that will fit without modifying the cabinet is the one suggested or the one Audax manufactured for Soundcraft. Have you tried contacting soundcraft to see in they offer a replacement or can recone your existing driver.
Old 5th November 2015, 05:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

are the biwiring jumpers there? i would assume so but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 6th November 2015, 08:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default soundraft

sorry - I really am a complete novice - biwiring jumpers?
Old 6th November 2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Bi wiring jumpers. Links that allow the drive units to be electrically separated and driven independently

(not quite sure how that relates to a blown woofer but there you go)
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (656.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 6th November 2015, 09:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have a blown woofer
sorry - I really am a complete novice
It is not meant to sound insulting, but are you sure the woofer is blown (*), and not that there is another problem? If you don't know where to start for a problem determination, just ask.

Quote:
Bi wiring jumpers. Links that allow the drive units to be electrically separated and driven independently

(not quite sure how that relates to a blown woofer but there you go)
That's related, as if they are not there, and the connection from the amp is to the tweeter binding post only, the woofer wouldn't be driven.

Ralf

(*) Blown means shorted voice coil
Old 6th November 2015, 02:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

a local homebrew studio has some of these they concluded the same (blown woofer) when in fact the binding post needed to be tightened (not making proper contact)

(*) blown can also mean open voice coil
Old 6th November 2015, 03:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

thanks all - definitely not insulting. Take your point about whether the woofer is blown - had assumed so because of a slight burning smell from the speaker and the woofer unit after struggling a bit with some low volume output which cut in and out now produces no sound at all. But you're quite right that I haven't determined what the actual problem with the woofer is. The tweeter works fine by the way. There have never been any jumpers present like those shown in the photo above at the back of the cabinet - have just been connecting the speaker cables direct to either pair of contacts to see if it makes any difference.
Old 6th November 2015, 09:19 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Depending on the topology of the XO, it's possible that the burnt smell might be from a damaged component on the board. This is a very common problem with car audio systems which are prone to drastic overdriving. If you've not already done so, pop the woofer out of the cabinet and test it with a 1.5v dry cell battery when disconnected from the XO. At that time you should be able to spot any such smoked XO parts - it's usually pretty obvious.
Old 7th November 2015, 01:46 AM   #10
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Stick at it, Andy. It's a biwired speaker:
Soundcraft Spirit Absolute 2

If the nut behind the plug gets loose, you lose the bass output, which happens when you turn the grip thing. The image below is not biwired, but the plugs work the same way. And if you're like me, you don't have any decent tiny spanners anyway. For all that, solder joints shake themselves loose too.

Maybe nothing wrong with the speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Banana Plug Connector.JPG (122.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Banana Plug Good.JPG (50.7 KB, 36 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!