Replacement 6.5 inch woofer for broken SoundCraft Absolute 2 Monitor Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have a blown woofer and as the speakers were 2nd hand need the cheapest option for a replacement. An Audax HM 170 Z18 was suggested but is far too dear for me - wondered if you could suggest any other same size woofers that I could fit easily as a replacement? 2nd hand is fine. Thanks!

Since this driver was made by audax the only one that will fit without modifying the cabinet is the one suggested or the one Audax manufactured for Soundcraft. Have you tried contacting soundcraft to see in they offer a replacement or can recone your existing driver.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Bi wiring jumpers. Links that allow the drive units to be electrically separated and driven independently ;)

(not quite sure how that relates to a blown woofer but there you go)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    656.2 KB · Views: 179
I have a blown woofer
sorry - I really am a complete novice
It is not meant to sound insulting, but are you sure the woofer is blown (*), and not that there is another problem? If you don't know where to start for a problem determination, just ask.

Bi wiring jumpers. Links that allow the drive units to be electrically separated and driven independently

(not quite sure how that relates to a blown woofer but there you go)
That's related, as if they are not there, and the connection from the amp is to the tweeter binding post only, the woofer wouldn't be driven.

Ralf

(*) Blown means shorted voice coil

thanks all - definitely not insulting. Take your point about whether the woofer is blown - had assumed so because of a slight burning smell from the speaker and the woofer unit after struggling a bit with some low volume output which cut in and out now produces no sound at all. But you're quite right that I haven't determined what the actual problem with the woofer is. The tweeter works fine by the way. There have never been any jumpers present like those shown in the photo above at the back of the cabinet - have just been connecting the speaker cables direct to either pair of contacts to see if it makes any difference.

Depending on the topology of the XO, it's possible that the burnt smell might be from a damaged component on the board. This is a very common problem with car audio systems which are prone to drastic overdriving. If you've not already done so, pop the woofer out of the cabinet and test it with a 1.5v dry cell battery when disconnected from the XO. At that time you should be able to spot any such smoked XO parts - it's usually pretty obvious.

Stick at it, Andy. It's a biwired speaker:
Soundcraft Spirit Absolute 2

If the nut behind the plug gets loose, you lose the bass output, which happens when you turn the grip thing. The image below is not biwired, but the plugs work the same way. And if you're like me, you don't have any decent tiny spanners anyway. For all that, solder joints shake themselves loose too.

Maybe nothing wrong with the speakers. :)

Attachments

• Banana Plug Connector.JPG
    Banana Plug Connector.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Banana Plug Good.JPG
    Banana Plug Good.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 135
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
had assumed so because of a slight burning smell from the speaker and the woofer unit after struggling a bit with some low volume output which cut in and out now produces no sound at all.

Sounds to me like the voice coil has overheated enough to deform it and now its rubbing on the magnet.

If you gently move the cone in and out by hand then it should feel free. Any hint of rubbing and its kaput.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.