12-15" 2 way suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2015, 12:24 PM   #1
asilker is offline asilker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 12-15" 2 way suggestions

I've been diving into circuit repair and modification and it's been a blast. I'm starting to think about what would go into a speaker build. Right now, I'm running a pair of Infinity Reference Five speakers, here's a photo:
Click the image to open in full size.

I'm really happy with them, the imaging is great and they feel very neutral. So my goals in building a speaker would mostly be to see what else I can make happen and get exposure to a different kind of design.

I'm particularly interested in larger drivers, 15's or maybe 12's. And I think I'd like to aim toward the concept of using a full range-ish driver with a tweeter (perhaps crossed over a bit lower). I like ribbons, but I'm open to any suggestion. I'd like to assemble the cab as a floor standing speaker with a narrower front baffle, and I'm not particularly interested in open baffles.

I know that's a lot of specifics (read: I sound picky), but I'm just wondering if anyone can point me to woofers that would work well in this application and maybe tweeters that would interface well with them.

Maybe some of you have done a project like this?
Old 4th November 2015, 12:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Getting a 12" 2-way cab that has a narrow front baffle is going to be tricky.

I'd start looking into compression drivers. There's a lot to be said for an Econowave style build as a starting point.

Chris
Old 4th November 2015, 12:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cool I'll start researching in that direction. And I'm expecting to make a cabinet from scratch - would that make the baffle size more doable?
Old 4th November 2015, 02:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

asilker,

Those infinity speakers were good back in the day but are far behind what a good diy project can do. today. As chris661 mentioned, horns ( compression drivers ) and high efficiency are the way to go. As my dad told me long ago " buy right and cry once " if your budget and room permits.

Check out DIY Sound Group for horns and wave guides---a bolt together proposition for compression drivers yielding excellent sound.

Check out John Inlow's site for some ideas and horn plans.

Check out Great Plains Audio for high efficiency drivers.

Check out Goodsoundclub.com for some interesting reading on horns etc.

Do some reading on Audio Asylum under "high efficiency" and Altec Heritage site on that topic.

I realize I gave you a reading to do if you are interested in obtaining the best sound possible IMHO, so take it at your own pace. It is a good learning experience. I spent 40yrs. and had over 15 speaker systems to get where I am now, so I am just trying to possibly save you some time. Good luck.
Old 4th November 2015, 03:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

@hottattoo, you're getting my brain going. Sounds like I have a lot of reading to do! I'll get started soon.

Why is high efficiency the way to go? And will it be difficult for me to match a compression driver to a woofer? I'm concerned that I'll have a shelf where one component is louder than the other
Old 4th November 2015, 03:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

asikler,

There are several reasons to go high efficiency:

Physics---some compression drivers ( TAD for example ) have a moving mass of maybe 3 grams and a magnetic motor force of 20,000 gauss which is many times faster then the best conventional drivers.

Lower distortion, flat impedance, extended frequency response are a few other reasons.

Depending on your woofer choice and type of enclosure you choose will determine if or how much you have to pad down the compression driver.

I would look into joining your local audio society, also take a look at KCS Loudspeakers which is not too far from you along with Classic Audio.
Old 4th November 2015, 04:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default 2 way with 15 inch plus full range driver

Hi Asilker,

I am a fan of high efficiency designs and like to try and simplify everything and use as little floor space as possible.

Big / complex horn / open baffle designs can sound fantastic if they are done properly ie by experts, novices....Not so much!

There are a couple of very easy design routes you can check out:

(1) Line arrays using lots of small full range drivers.

There are lots of nice DIY line arrays examples on this site.
You can make them tall with a very shallow depth profile so you can just hang them on the wall....This has lots of sonic advantages as it avoids most of the room integration issues of freestanding cabinets. Also you dont need any crossover....Just some Eq, from your lap top if using a PC / Mac source or from a stand alone unit.

(2) Big bass mid (10, 12, or 15 inch Pro driver) plus a good full ranger.
This needs a crossover ( and usually some Eq) but as the crossover point will be down around the 100Hz to 400Hz band this becomes easier and less harmful to the sound.

I love DSP for all crossover / Eq and find it way better in the long run than any passive crossovers.
Also go active ie each driver or group of drivers has its own power amplifier.

The attached pic is of two different speaker designs, one is a 15 inch bass / mid plus full range driver, the other is a 10 inch driver plus full ranger.
Both cabinets are very shallow ( 9 inch and 7 inch depth respectively) as they are nearfield / midfield studio monitors.

Hope this helps and all the best
Derek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25 OCT SM15 AND 10 125.jpg (816.8 KB, 301 views)
Old 4th November 2015, 05:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ok so I would just L-pad the driver to even things out. Simple enough. Thanks for the input, people!! Keep it coming!!

I'm also reading through the econowave thread on AK: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/ind...peaker.150939/

Im thinking larger woofer and econo guide might be the way to go...
Old 4th November 2015, 05:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Or the diysoundgroups tempest 12.
Fusion-12 Tempest DIY Sound Group
Old 4th November 2015, 05:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Oooh that looks cool. Is that price per speaker? So it'd be closer to $660 for a pair?

Hide this!Advertise here!