Crossover Modification - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2015, 06:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover Modification

newbie here with a crossover question. I recently upgraded that caps in a klipsch kp3.6a crossover and noticed that the person who owned that speakers before me has removed that 3.3 ohm resistor in the tweeter circuit. I was wondering why he may have done that, and what the affect it would have on the way the speakers sound? thanks for any help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gallery_299_34_63980.jpg (76.5 KB, 156 views)
Old 2nd November 2015, 07:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you simply remove the 3R3 resistor in the tweeter path, the tweeter will mute. There should be at least a piece of wire instead of the resistor, and in this case the sound of the speaker will be brighter as the tweeter has at least a couple of dB more. I'd put the resistor again in the crossover, it should sound more natural.

Ralf
Old 2nd November 2015, 07:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thank you for the reply. Actually there is a wire in the i forgot to mention that . I will definitely put the resistor in and see what kind of difference it makes.
Old 2nd November 2015, 07:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Remember to remove the wire.
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:57 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Your bordering on totally insulting intelligence in two posts.

rgds, sreten.
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirish147 View Post
newbie here with a crossover question. I recently upgraded that caps in a klipsch kp3.6a crossover and noticed that the person who owned that speakers before me has removed that 3.3 ohm resistor in the tweeter circuit. I was wondering why he may have done that, and what the affect it would have on the way the speakers sound? thanks for any help
I am not familiar with the Klipsch KP3.6a. But: The parallel inductor in the tweeter path is specified as 100 uH, i.e. 0.1 mH. Together with the capacitors (3 uF and 2 uF) I'd estimate a cut-off frequency in the 10 kHz range. Human ears are not very sensitive up there, so I don't expect inserting the 3.3 Ohm resistor (and removing the wire...) will do much to what you hear.

Just give it a try and see what you like.
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:54 AM   #7
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

Your bordering on totally insulting intelligence in two posts.

rgds, sreten.
Had to giggle at that, maybe just me!

Anyway...back on-topic, removing that 3.3R looks very bad for impedance to me. Evidently it brightens up the tweeter, but 2.5 ohms reactive can't be good for the amplifier. It is 5 ohms with the resistor if those component mbrennwa values are right and it is a 6 ohm dc tweeter..
Attached Images
File Type: png Removing 3.3R.PNG (2.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: png Effect of removing 3.3R resistor on impedance.PNG (12.3 KB, 116 views)
Old 3rd November 2015, 03:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I wasn't insulted... 😊 happy to have people willing to help me out!! It looks like my best move will be to find some suitable resistors to protect my amplifier.
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:12 PM   #9
keilau is offline keilau  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Had to giggle at that, maybe just me!
Me too!

Quote:
Anyway...back on-topic, removing that 3.3R looks very bad for impedance to me. Evidently it brightens up the tweeter, but 2.5 ohms reactive can't be good for the amplifier. It is 5 ohms with the resistor if those component mbrennwa values are right and it is a 6 ohm dc tweeter..
There seem to be a RXE075 variable resistor in parallel with a 100 Ohms resistor after the HP and before the tweeter.

Without knowing the specific impedance and phase character of the tweeter and the RXE075, it is hard to comment. The 3.3 Ohm may be there to tame potential spike at the crossover region.

mbrennwa may be right about where the tweeter range is.
Old 4th November 2015, 01:55 AM   #10
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I was scratching my head over that 100 ohm in parallel with an RXE. Perhaps it's a lightbulb? But no idea really.

But generally an underdamped load on a crossover is VERY BAD for impedance. It's like when the tweeter blows and goes high impedance and the highly reactive crossover takes the amplifier out shortly after. This is what happens at parties!

Hide this!Advertise here!