SEAS Exotic design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi MJ,

A 2.000 € for a pair of two way speakers that would need
a subwoofer too, is not what I would call a good value project.

A foam surround that would be good for decades ( how many?)
is an interesting claim. I would be curious to know how exactly did
they test it, so we know this is true.

You'd be better off with PA drivers.

Mjmacka,
You are on the right track. Some use drivers that are more musical with certain trends or mystic. Some use vintage drivers (usually low wattage and high quality), others prefer paper diaphragms or hyperbolic (NAWI) instead of conical. Others do the job with high sensitivity pro/PA drivers. Usually the size, model and brand will give you a good indicator.
One example is the rubber surround Satori MW16P 6" Egyptian Papyrus Cone Woofer.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Looks fine to me (other than that i am not a big fan of convential 2-ways). The Exotic drivers are really quite good (even if more expensive than most of us would spend).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

exotic-t35.jpg

exotic%20crossover.jpg

The cabinet design is quite pedestrian -- in detail i'd call it poor. I'd not use MDF (AFAIC MDF is not a suitable speaker building material). There is no cabinet bracing.

dave

These drivers are expensive but I wouldnt mind paying if they provide something special.
I suspect the recognition as something special needs to come from within you. They are distinctive and no doubt attractive to some in an "olde worlde" way but a similarly priced competent 3 way will outperform them in almost every technical measure of sound quality. But that isn't what everybody wants.

You ask a opinion, so...

I really appreciate the Seas speakers, especially the Next Serie.

- The Exotic Serie offers very good components, but very expensive too. And I'm not sure that the T35 is better than the Crescendo tweeter (T29CT002). In fact, I believe the T29 is much better, but for half the price.
You can find a review of the T35 on the Troel Gravesen's site. His opinion is that "The T35 does not sound anything different from the TW034 dome" (from Audax).

- The XO is very basic.

- Instructions for the box more than basic. They recommend bracing and damping... How?
And mounting those quality components in a MDF cabinet should be a pity.

- The curve of the treeble between 3khz and 12 khz is 5db higher. Must be pleasant and attractive for an half hour. But tiring and boring for a long session.

If you finally decide to build this kit, you'll find very good information here. For the bracing and the damping.
QUATTRO-mkII
Also a 40 liters box, and a 1+8" configuration.

I heard these in Salk's 'Exotica' design:
Exotica 3 overview

I think the upper treble rolls off a little, or it's due to the large dome and how the room interacts. The mids were nice and easy without shout (in his design anyway), and had this vintage analog kind of sound.

I chalk this up to a flavor thing. Some like tubes, some like SS. This would be more of a tubey sounding driver setup. A good amount of warmth and ease where Jazz likes to live.

That said- I liked them, but the price of admission is rather steep.
Later,
Wolf

what on earth are people smoking in here. "MDF is not suitable for speakers" ? lol. then one favourably mentions fullrange drivers, aka. high distortion and horrid polar response.

putting any empehasis on wood material in the grand scheme of things are as silly as suggesting switching capacitor to a different brand will transform a speaker.
bracing wont make a noticable difference either, with these compact measurements and 25mm walls. no, using your knuckles on the side of cabinet does not mean the box will sing like an acoustic guitar and the woofer will be uncomfortable.

Thanks for the replies.
These drivers are expensive but I wouldnt mind paying
if they provide something special.

You have to understand that manufacturer's prime directive
is to make profits above all. It means they will purposely
name their products to make the buyer believe in a story
behind it and in our case they even painted the magnets red
to make sure you don't miss the point.

All of the Seas products are good quality, without any doubt.
For the ones earning more, there is exotic fruits on the menu.
They will provide the sound in the way its XO filter is designed
and the design suggests that there is room to make improvements.

The frequency response looks as if the designer was trying
to squeeze the last dB out of the combo, on account of accuracy,
which doesn't mean you won't like it. 1" mdf is overkill. Some
care should be exercised in placing damping fibers for the standing
waves inside of the box. The bass response is heavily attenuated.

This is a DIY forum and most members appreciate doing a lot with the least amount of money so you likely will get many more negative responses than good.

You can certainly build something just as good for $500 easily and a company like Madisound will build you extremely good passive crossovers for under $100.

But if money is no concern I'm sure you will be very happy with these, the quality of the components is very high and they'll sound amazing I'm sure.

At minimum you'll learn something new and be out the money, but at this price you have to be ok with that.

Enclosures you can build however you like, that part is easy enough using whatever construction techniques and material you prefer.

HTH!

Javad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.