Grundig console stereo modification....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, all.

My wife and I recently picked up an old Grundig KS460 console stereo that's is pretty good condition. The turntable doesn't work, which is ok, but the radio does work. It has the old radio capacitor hum, but that's fine. Replacing all the caps inside at this time would be too big of a job for me. There are 4 existing speakers in the cabinet. 2 front-facing 12" x 7" drivers and on either side of the cabinet, a 4" (approx.) driver.

What I would like to do, is bring this console into the 21st century with a new Sonos Connect along with a small ss amplifier inside the cavity where the existing FM stereo sits. I have removed the rear panel and there is plenty of room for this.

For speakers, I was looking at going one of two paths. The cavities where the speakers are located measure out to 1.05 cu. ft. of space. I'd like to remove the original speakers, pack them away for safe keeping and install some new speakers for increased performance, obviously running off the Sonos/ ss amp. I'd like to keep the speaker portion of the project to under $100, if possible. If it's worth upping the budget to $150, for increased performance, that's fine.

1) Install a pair of full-range drivers like the 8" Goldwoods or GRS units. I could also add a pair of smaller, matching drivers to the side-speaker locations.

2) Install a nicer, 2-way system with an 8" woofer, tweeter and crossover. I would make baffle boards to mount them on and install them in the existing cabinet.

For either idea, I can leave the cabinet as-is, with the existing perforated rear panels, or make new panels that would seal the speaker cavities. I can also stuff them with polyfill/fiberglass and/or if the design required, port the cabinets with a nice, down-firing port.

Here is what the Stereo looks like:

KS560 Nussbaum Radio Grundig Radio-Vertrieb, RVF, Radiowerke

If I go with the 2-way idea, I'd also need some basic crossover design help, as far as component values go.

What would your suggestions be?

Thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We used a pair of these consoles (or very similar) to build a pair of EL84 monobloks using the iron.

RH84-monoblok.jpg

There are lots of good FR out there you could use, especially if you are OK with building an internal box for them (my 1st suggestion would be Mark Audio Alpair 10p.

alpair-10p.jpg

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...rkaudio-alpair-10p-a-paper-cone-6-full-range/

If you don't want to build a box, you essentially have an open baffle, so Visaton B200 would be my 1st choice. They do need the dustcap removed and phase plugs added to (dramatically) reduce beaming at the top.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

B 200 - 6 Ohm

dave

I want to abandon the existing stereo and use a Sonos Amp or a combo of a Sonos Connect and a small amplifier to drive new speakers. The goal is to keep the look of the original console furniture but with the functionality of a new system connected to wifi to stream music.

I already have Sonos through out the rest of our house, plus I'm a Sonos dealer so it makes sense to go that direction, for me.

Well, I finally got it finished a couple weeks ago. It took more work that I planned. I guess these projects always do. I had to get rid of some cabinet rattles and buzzes in addition to all the regular work that was needed.

I removed and packed away the original speakers and hardware. I left the original stereo in place for aesthetics. I also wanted to retain as much storage as possible so I removed the dead turntable which was an old Dual 1008.

For speakers I tried the 8" GRS full range units but they were horrible. The vocals sounded like people were singing with a shoe box covering their face, or something. I then tried the Visaton BG-20's which were much better. They were a bit shouty, though so I installed a BSC to take them down a notch which helped greatly. They are powered by the small Dayton DA30 amp and feeding it is a NuForce Bluetooth receiver.

It turned out pretty good. It's got plenty of power to full the room with great sound, especially considering the overall budget of the project. I initially wanted to sell it once completed, but my wife really likes it so we now use it as a side-board in the dining room.

Grundig5_zpsr4garzwt.jpg

Grundig8_zpshlutlbvk.jpg

Thanks for the guidance and help! I have a larger console project I'll be starting soon so I'll start another thread about that one looking for ideas.

Hello Friends
I just got Grundig TK340 Open reel tape player Plays nicely recorded tapes. Does not record mean time magic eye shows recording and( I cant get anyone for repair in Ft. Lauderdale) I cleaned the heads demagnetized same result no change. Where should I look for any idea? someone told me that they have problem selenium rectifiers. please help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.