2 way speaker with a folded horn woofer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 21st October 2015, 08:59 PM   #1
lowerFE is offline lowerFE  Canada
diyAudio Member
Default 2 way speaker with a folded horn woofer?

Just had a crazy thought. Floorstanding speakers offer a lot of enclosure space for the woofers, especially in a 2 way speaker. The 38Hz Tangband horn sub shows that it is possible to get 38Hz with just around 1.5 cu ft of volume.

Do you guys think it is possible to design a 2 way floorstanding speaker with a 6.5'' or 8'' horn loaded midwoofer extending to ~40Hz, and go high enough to be crossed with a CD at say 1500Hz?
Old 21st October 2015, 09:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
Sure, why not? In fact, I'm sure that it's been done a good number of times. Unfortunately I don't have an example to link... But I can't think of a drawback as long as the tweeter is close enough to the woofer and doesn't create an obstruction in the bass horn.
Old 21st October 2015, 09:19 PM   #3
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member
I can't see why not either. Just be cautious with your Woofer choice. One that is suitable for horn loading and has smooth response to 1.5k may be a small selection
As for a tweeter suitable for a low crossover point, check out the Dayton RS28. Using the new SEOS8 to load the tweeter will make it easier to cross that low and match the directivity of your Woofer.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 22nd October 2015, 02:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
There are many examples of full range back loaded horns, to which super tweeters have been added. A search on these, and maybe some brand names (Fostex, Lowther* etc) should yield many projects / ideas.

*auto-corrects to 'loathed', which I found amusing.
This edit signature thingy is seriously hard to find
Old 22nd October 2015, 02:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
In the 1970's Orange did some folded horn speakers with tweeters in the front.
The were ok but I thought they sounded a bit wooden.
They were similar to this Fane design.

Click the image to open in full size.
Murton-Pike Systems PCBCAD51 pcb design software. http://murtonpikesystems.azurewebsites.net/
Old 22nd October 2015, 03:16 AM   #6
lowerFE is offline lowerFE  Canada
diyAudio Member
How's the sound quality of a folded horn midrange vs a direct radiator?

The thought behind the folded horn is that I love the sound of a high efficiency PA style woofer for the midrange, but the low xmax means I can't get a lot of bass from it. I want the horn mainly for the extra bass output and not the extra efficiency in the midrange because it is more than loud and efficient enough (would be a nice bonus though). I don't want to sacrifice sound quality in the mids.

And really? It's hard to find a 8'' woofer with smooth response to 1500Hz? I thought 1500Hz would be fairly reasonable for 8'' woofers.

Last edited by lowerFE; 22nd October 2015 at 03:22 AM.
Old 22nd October 2015, 04:49 AM   #7
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member
I have run 6.5"s in back loaded corner horns. It was easy to get 40Hz and at good volumes. Crossed IIRC at around 2k.

I use 8" mids now which I expect to reproduce 1500Hz. It's getting toward the top end for a direct radiator but some cross at 2k with the right driver.
Old 22nd October 2015, 05:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
And what about the sound quality ?
Old 22nd October 2015, 09:52 AM   #9
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member
a front loaded bifurcated horn like that little Fane has a short 1/4 wave path and in half space would roll off like my Peavey FH1 below

an offset driver TL might work with the right 8" - or back loaded horn - to my ears my Fostex BK20 on drum
impacts sounds weak and if the rear wave arrives "later" than the direct radiator front cone contribution - my Karlson
are preferable in that aspect. Is that notion of blh horn delay a perspective illusion?

FH1 30"x24"x24" cabinet
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 22nd October 2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:12 PM   #10
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
It's funny timing coincidence but I was just about to design a BLH for an AC130F1 crossed with a tweeter at about 2kHz. I was hoping the BLH would go down to about 40Hz with enough sensitivity to overcome the baffle step losses for a true 89dB sensitive system (although the examples of this driver I have actually measured are closer to 86dB).

Give me a few days and I will see what I can come up with. Another driver that looks promising is the 5FE120 5in mid bass.

Hide this!Advertise here!