2 way speaker with a folded horn woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just had a crazy thought. Floorstanding speakers offer a lot of enclosure space for the woofers, especially in a 2 way speaker. The 38Hz Tangband horn sub shows that it is possible to get 38Hz with just around 1.5 cu ft of volume.

Do you guys think it is possible to design a 2 way floorstanding speaker with a 6.5'' or 8'' horn loaded midwoofer extending to ~40Hz, and go high enough to be crossed with a CD at say 1500Hz?

I can't see why not either. Just be cautious with your Woofer choice. One that is suitable for horn loading and has smooth response to 1.5k may be a small selection
As for a tweeter suitable for a low crossover point, check out the Dayton RS28. Using the new SEOS8 to load the tweeter will make it easier to cross that low and match the directivity of your Woofer.

How's the sound quality of a folded horn midrange vs a direct radiator?

The thought behind the folded horn is that I love the sound of a high efficiency PA style woofer for the midrange, but the low xmax means I can't get a lot of bass from it. I want the horn mainly for the extra bass output and not the extra efficiency in the midrange because it is more than loud and efficient enough (would be a nice bonus though). I don't want to sacrifice sound quality in the mids.

And really? It's hard to find a 8'' woofer with smooth response to 1500Hz? I thought 1500Hz would be fairly reasonable for 8'' woofers.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have run 6.5"s in back loaded corner horns. It was easy to get 40Hz and at good volumes. Crossed IIRC at around 2k.

I use 8" mids now which I expect to reproduce 1500Hz. It's getting toward the top end for a direct radiator but some cross at 2k with the right driver.

a front loaded bifurcated horn like that little Fane has a short 1/4 wave path and in half space would roll off like my Peavey FH1 below

an offset driver TL might work with the right 8" - or back loaded horn - to my ears my Fostex BK20 on drum
impacts sounds weak and if the rear wave arrives "later" than the direct radiator front cone contribution - my Karlson
are preferable in that aspect. Is that notion of blh horn delay a perspective illusion?

FH1 30"x24"x24" cabinet
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's funny timing coincidence but I was just about to design a BLH for an AC130F1 crossed with a tweeter at about 2kHz. I was hoping the BLH would go down to about 40Hz with enough sensitivity to overcome the baffle step losses for a true 89dB sensitive system (although the examples of this driver I have actually measured are closer to 86dB).

Give me a few days and I will see what I can come up with. Another driver that looks promising is the 5FE120 5in mid bass.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
:rolleyes: And what about the sound quality ?
Ok.

This was about 15 years ago but IIRC I was using Scan-Speak drivers and ply cabs, and using the computer to do the crossover the old way.

They sounded good, my friends made all the non-audio type comments. Compared to the sans-BLH version (I added from the same basic cab), bass was full and hard-hitting, and deeper than the 15" woofers that I use now.

There was a transition somewhere, that at the time I felt was worth it for the quality of the bass. Maybe I got lucky. My next couple of projects with transmission lines and open baffles weren't as successful for me.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
DNA (wide) 2-way with AC130F1 and RS28F

Here is a DNA BLH widened to 9.0in internal width and fitted with an Aurum Cantus AC130F1 and a Dayton RS28F dome tweeter with a ~2.2kHz cross over BW4 on woofer and Bessel 2 on tweeter. There is also a 1mH and 10R BSC applied to the AC130F1 to reduce the effects of baffle step losses. A lot of the ripples shown in the model will go way in reality when stuffing and padding losses are introduced.

More info on DNA horn here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/235457-decware-dna-horn.html

Here is the performance on a 30in stand sitting 60in in front of a back wall, there is quite a bit of baffle step losses:

510406d1445610462-2-way-speaker-folded-horn-woofer-dna-ac130f1-dc28f-2-way-freq-1m.png

Here is a corner placement 24in from either side wall - looking better frm bass department. 83dB overall sensitivity with 37Hz f3:

510407d1445610462-2-way-speaker-folded-horn-woofer-dna-ac130f1-dc28f-2-way-freq-1m-corner.png

This may not be the most efficient BLH as it is more a hybrid BVR/BLH design and this driver is meant for a bass reflex but what I have on hand so I was curious. However, you really can't beat the combo of the AC130F1 and RS28F for overall smoothness and ability to integrate well for an overall solid combo.

Attachments

• DNA-AC130F1-DC28F-2-way-Freq-1m.png
    DNA-AC130F1-DC28F-2-way-Freq-1m.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 325
  • DNA-AC130F1-DC28F-2-way-Freq-1m-corner.png
    DNA-AC130F1-DC28F-2-way-Freq-1m-corner.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 771
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.