Phillips Trusonic 206 AXA as Loudspeakers for Acoustic Shows

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Phillips Trusonic 206 AXA that I accidentally acquired about 30 years ago when I needed speakers and thats all the music store would trade me straight across for. I guess the jokes on them.

For work I'm a singer and acoustic guitarist and I was thinking of using these in shows. They've been around the block and need a little repair on the cones but I was thinking in the right cabinets they might work pretty well. Any thoughts on this usage or what else I could do to put these bad boys back to work?

Thanks,

Sean

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sure, those will work if you aren't trying for deafening levels. They can do deafening in smaller spaces, but you'll eventually blow them up.

If you are just trying to make the voice and guitar carry, sound real and bigger in a moderate space, those would be very good for that.

What size box and what is the crossover like?

assuming Stephens, they were among the top recommendations for the original Karlson cabinet but at 7.3 cubic foot total, it might be too bulky. You might be able to fetch some good money and buy something cheaper like P-Audio - there's one Stephens 206 axa on Ebay for $1250 - in contrast you can pick up a P-Audio 15" coax new for $199 http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/product/BM15CXA/P-AUDIOBM15CXA/

Last edited:
The speakers are in small oak cabinets that don't look large enough to me so I'm interested in what kind of an enclosure is best. I realize they wouldn't cover a large space as performance monitors but I'm interested in building around a quality sound not audience size...I can always get over the counter monitors for big shows.

Any opinions on size of room these could be effective in?

Thanks so much for the input!

Sean

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Driver like these are usually happiest in big cabinets. But the lucky thing is, you don't need big cabinets for what you are doing. Response down to 100Hz will be fine.
Yes, the lowest guitar notes are below that, but it's no big deal. Think of electric guitar amps. :)

Best test? Hook 'em up and run some live guitar and voice thru them. You'll quickly hear if they are suited.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.