Very short midrange horn - effects?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I'm looking at building some 2x10" + CD PA top speakers, and one design I've spotted is a line array element from RCF, the HDL20A.

I note that, in order to reduce the cabinet width, they've put each 10" driver into a very short horn by angling the baffles back. My sims suggest that there'll be plenty of gain around 600Hz, with the expected comb filtering coming in a little over 1kHz. That's probably from cancellations arising from driving the horn with a relatively large cone on one of the walls. They cross over at 800Hz, which is fine for both the 10"s and the large compression driver.
One caveat I can see with the above design is rather narrow horizontal directivity heading towards the top of the 10"s range, as a result of having the drivers seperate.

One design I'm looking at involves putting the pair of 10" drivers into a fairly deep V-shape, but orientated so the drivers are firing a little off-vertical, a little like this EV sub below:
2881046_1_l.jpg

Both of the 10"s would be firing out of a ~10" square exit.

My question is this: what would the effect on directivity be if I was to use a small horn section like this?

I'm looking to put together a fairly straightforward, compact cabinet that'll keep frontal area small while using 2x10" midbasses and a 10" square horn. Angling the 10"s back so I come out with a frontal area of a little over 20"x10" would be a nice way to do it, and ought to outperform any other cabient of similar size.

I'll stop rambling now. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Chris

One design I'm looking at involves putting the pair of 10" drivers into a fairly deep V-shape, but orientated so the drivers are firing a little off-vertical, a little like this EV sub below:
My question is this: what would the effect on directivity be if I was to use a small horn section like this?
Chris,

A "V" horn of only 10" width will only impart directivity in the very upper range if crossed at 800 Hz.

Thanks Art. I ran some sims in the Edge, which can do off-axis response plots. As you say, it doesn't appear to affect much in the operating range.
Unfortunately, Hornresp won't do a directivity sim for this cabinet type.

Jeremy, that looks the sort of thing. I'm planning on using a larger compression driver sat above the 10"s, though. Glad you're having good results :)

Thanks, all.
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.