Frequency Response program

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to try and test the frequency response from a speaker I have, and I've tried looking for programs without a lot of luck. I have found some programs that work for sound cards, but I'm looking for one that will test a speaker. Maybe I'm not looking at the programs enough? I have downloaded a program called Right Mark, and I've heard you can use that to analyze speakers rather than a sound card, but I'm not sure how. Can anyone help me out? Thanks guys!

Hmm, interesting thought about using RightMark. I too downloaded it as suggested by Claudio Negro. I'm using Speaker Workshop for the frequency response measurements, but thinking about it, it seems you could use RightMark.

Right Mark just feeds the line out to its respective line in and compares the output with the imput. You would need to feed one channel line out to your amplifier and use a mic and mic preamp to the same channel line in. If you can get the levels close, don't see in principle why it wouldn't work, unless it somehow generates an error message based on out of bounds values. It wouldn't have all the analysis features of Speaker Workshop, but it could generate a response curve. Give it a try.

Sheldon

Here's what I have so far: I have a laptop hooked up to a stereo receiver with a heaphone-to-RCA cable converter. Then I also have a microphone hooked up to the microphone-in jack on the laptop so I can monitor the speaker. Would this set up be right for what I want to do?

Is there anywhere I can go to find some sort of tutorial on how to do frequency response with one of these programs?

JasonDelta said:
Here's what I have so far: I have a laptop hooked up to a stereo receiver with a heaphone-to-RCA cable converter. Then I also have a microphone hooked up to the microphone-in jack on the laptop so I can monitor the speaker. Would this set up be right for what I want to do?

Would advise against using mic input on soundcard - response of these usually not good, and since it is mono, you cannot use a reference signal. Best to use stereo line inputs on soundcard and mic preamp, however if laptop does not have line inputs (quite often the case), then be aware there may be errors in measurements.

Another analysing program you could try is SIA SmaartLive - this does real-time measurements. Demo version be be downloaded.

Cheers

Perhaps I should further explain what I'm doing. I'm working on a physics experiment, and I'm trying to see what kind of frequency response I can get out of a simple speaker I made out of a plastic cup and magnet wire. I only know a little about all this sound analysis stuff, so I'm trying to figure it all out. I guess I'm just trying to find some simplistic program that will allow me to see the input vs. the output when I pump a specific frequency into the speaker. I can graph all the points later. I don't need anything really accurate though.

If all you want are reality check measurements of protoype speakers, you don't need a jig, and the mic input will probably be fine - although I always seem to get a lot of hum with mine.

Make sure you use an omnidirectional microphone for measurements. The typical computer microphones you buy in a blister pack are usually Unidirectional (also called cardoid), which have a frequency response that changes in the bass (under 200Hz or so) with the distance from the source.

Speaker Workshop

You don't need to build a jig for SW, but you'll need the attenuating resistors. It's really simple, but building the jig takes all the effort out of doing measurements. For a rough measurement you could simply use the mic input (as mentioned above) and a cheap mic. But if you want to reflect more accurately what your driver is doing, remember the cheapie mic will distort the FR curve: you'd be better off using a Panasonic WM61-A -type mic.

The Wallin jig is dirt cheap to build, plusyou'd have a genuine piece of speaker measuring test equipment (you could also measure the impedance curve).

Anyway, it's your choice. Just wanted you to know that SW is a
very
V E R Y
V E R Y
cost-effective tool....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.