Granite Front Baffles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at making some Jordan JX92 enclosures in the next few months here with a 1 1/4" granite front baffle. I was curious of whether I should just flush mount the driver or leave a set on contentric rings surrounding the driver. While I can't do that 45 degree cut like on the Pass Labs Rushmore speakers, but I could do a number of contentric circles creating a simliar effect, but I'm not sure which would be best "sound wise".

0.5" Aluminum

Hi Moses,

A 1.25" thick baffle with cover up a large amount of the side perimeter of the cone, causing reflections to the back of the cone which you will hear.

Have you considered surface mountng to a stronger baffle material like 0.5" Aluminum?

From my experience, any front baffle obstruction or waveguide creates frequency fluctuations from diffraction and also reduces the width of the sweet spot.

Then flush mount it is. I'll see about making a series of cuts behind the driver to allow for better airflow. As for cutting I'll have the granite guys next door cut it to size, the opening for driver I'll make with a custom made jig and a 4" angle grinder with a diamond blade. Not having the contentric circles on front does save me a lot of polishing time which is good thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.