What are this XO's values / type?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys, was hoping that some XO gurus could look at these pics and determine the crossover point is and any other data about it.

It came from an old 2 way, bookshelf made by a Canadian company called Acoustic Profiles. Model number was Psl 6.1a. 6.5" crap woofer and a not so bad tweeter. Tweeter is marked as 8 ohms, but the woofer only has a serial #.

The cabinets are not too bad, pretty solid, so am trying to reuse it, perhaps even the crossover if someone can help me with the values and info.

If you can't make out the numbers on the parts on the pics, I wrote them down best I could:

Cap #1 - 100uf, 100v NP (+-) 10%
Cap #2 - 10uf, 100v ( bi-polar)

Resistor #1 - 10R K 10W ( 2 of these)
Resistor #2 - RX 27-1, 20W 3R8J
Resistor #3 - 10W 2 ohm K (AOHM)

Blue Square thing - 1.5m, 250V
Reddish thing beside blue thing - only says: 3351

Some kind of fuse in the circuit also.

Anything you can decipher will help!

TIA :)

20151001_102654.jpg

20151001_102659.jpg

20151001_102743.jpg

20151001_102745.jpg

20151001_102810.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can't really reuse an XO. It was designed for specific drivers and will only work as intended with those units. You may be able to use some of the components but not likely as it sits.

That fuse looking thing is a light bulb. It's purpose is to protect the tweeter from overpowering. As the power goes up, the resistance of the bulb increases.

Hi,

It's a waste of time attempting to reuse a x/o without the original drivers.
X-LS Classic kit should work in those cabinets, with the original ports.

rgds, sreten.

Never heard of that company.
Are those speaker/kits any good? Don't want to replace garbage with junk.

Perhaps a kit to fit the boxes would be the way to go. They are about 0.75 cu.ft. Just would have liked to know a bit about that XO.

20151001_120321.jpg

I think sreten has given you an excellent idea for a rebuild there:
X-LS Classic kit

Check the dimensions to see if it will all fit, with minimal woodwork, but a polycone 6" bass and tweeter is the way to do this sort of thing IMO.

Once you've got a 20L box, prebuilt, the rest is easy with a few tools. TBH, I don't want to second-guess the filter. You'll have to adjust levels even if you do reuse it. Why bother?

X-LS Classic kit

Check the dimensions to see if it will all fit, with minimal woodwork, but a polycone 6" bass and tweeter is the way to do this sort of thing IMO.

Once you've got a 20L box, prebuilt, the rest is easy with a few tools. TBH, I don't want to second-guess the filter. You'll have to adjust levels even if you do reuse it. Why bother?

Yes... thanks, good advice.

Last edited:
Joined 2013
Paid Member
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
X-LS Classic kit

+1 on the kit suggestion, but if you have a few extra bucks (like $60) I would upgrade to the "encore" version, IMO. Nicer tweeter and a smoother response. But the "classic" is a super nice speaker for $109 for sure.

Originally Posted by system7 View Post
X-LS Classic kit

+1 on the kit suggestion, but if you have a few extra bucks (like $60) I would upgrade to the "encore" version, IMO. Nicer tweeter and a smoother response. But the "classic" is a super nice speaker for $109 for sure.

I have emailed them with a few questions, just waiting for them to respond before possibly ordering. Do you have a pair of these? Can you compare them to any "commercial" speakers?

Seen some kits on Madisound too.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/zaph%7Caudio-sr71-kit-pair-parts-only/

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I have emailed them with a few questions, just waiting for them to respond before possibly ordering. Do you have a pair of these? Can you compare them to any "commercial" speakers?

Seen some kits on Madisound too.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/zaph%7Caudio-sr71-kit-pair-parts-only/

I've talked to Danny a fe times, great guy and he will answer all your questions I'm sure. You can also look for kits at Mensicusaudio.com, because they have a number of really nice kits. I have built the Overnight Sensations, Classix II and Mandolin, but few are the price of the X-LS Classic.
Yes I have a pair of the X-LS Encore's and was VERY impressed with their sound and bass. I have only owned some older commercial speakers, as I've been building kits for a number of years. But I have had KEF 120's, B&W DM303, Mirage on-wall's, energy connoisseurs and these are as good or better than all of them.
I don't know what kind of music you like, but these X-LS' will take a lot of power and still play cleanly. Has quite a lot of bass (more than the numbers imply), but if you want more bass you can make the same kit in a larger tower design (IMO, the bookshelf is more than enough)
If you have more specific questions, just post them, and I will try and answer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.