2 way speaker with Deltalite ll 2510 & Ciare 1.38TW - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2015, 03:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2 way speaker with Deltalite ll 2510 & Ciare 1.38TW

I had an idea to make a pair of 2 way speaker some two years ago and I suddenly came across a tread talking about KT88SE amp by Scott 17. He did mention that he had designed a 2 way speaker with the above drivers. Oh...I thought it was perfect fit to my desire since I have the Deltalite II 2510 in hand and I can easily switch them around. Scott 17 was so friendly and generous enough to provide all his design and details for making this speakers. Hey, it's easy enough for me since I almost have all the parts in hand, and I only have to rewind some coil to fit. But I had a personal reason to start this project late until couple months ago. I talked to Scott again and asked if there was any change on his design, I then started ordering the Ciare 1.38TW and some resistors.
Long story short, I have all the ply cut and assembled right after. See how it goes.....
Attached Images
File Type: png 2510.PNG (73.2 KB, 315 views)
File Type: png 2510 co.PNG (49.5 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg 20150919_113326.jpg (623.5 KB, 313 views)
Old 2nd October 2015, 03:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The fun project is coming to finish and I can listen to them and see what they sound like. All coils are 12 & 15awg. All resistors are 10w non-inductive type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150926_154139.jpg (604.9 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150926_154451.jpg (480.2 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150926_221316.jpg (488.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 2nd October 2015, 05:59 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I'm afraid to say that x/o design is very poor.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2510.pdf

It doesn't remotely handle the drivers huge 10dB
presence peak or any BSC needed for good balance.

Tweeter attenuation is nowhere near enough.

It appears to be around 2.2KHz 6ohm Linkwitz Riley 2nd order
electrical,with a bass zobel and tweeter impedance compensation.
Its a naive approach by someone not really knowing enough.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 2nd October 2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:14 PM   #4
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
It appears
I agree it's difficult to tell. The tweeter pad appears to take care of the 103dB->97dB, LR as you pointed out. Q of the woofer filter looks lower, maybe -9dB at 2k or so?

The 'peak' on the official datasheet doesn't show enough information to say it isn't artificially inflated on the on-axis plot (WRT estimating power) by way of it being part of cone breakup, so it's plausible that the shown crossover has evolved to someone's taste.
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

I'm afraid to say that x/o design is very poor.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2510.pdf

It doesn't remotely handle the drivers huge 10dB
presence peak or any BSC needed for good balance.

Tweeter attenuation is nowhere near enough.

It appears to be around 2.2KHz 6ohm Linkwitz Riley 2nd order
electrical,with a bass zobel and tweeter impedance compensation.
Its a naive approach by someone not really knowing enough.

rgds, sreten.
Serten,
Great to have a good hand to chim in. Since I don't know nothing about speaker design. Would really love to know how I could make it better.
Albert
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
I agree it's difficult to tell. The tweeter pad appears to take care of the 103dB->97dB, LR as you pointed out. Q of the woofer filter looks lower, maybe -9dB at 2k or so?

The 'peak' on the official datasheet doesn't show enough information to say it isn't artificially inflated on the on-axis plot (WRT estimating power) by way of it being part of cone breakup, so it's plausible that the shown crossover has evolved to someone's taste.
AllenB,
Thanks for the comments.
Appreciate if you could tell how I could make change to make it better.
Albert
Old 3rd October 2015, 12:14 AM   #7
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Albert. If Scott17 likes these crossovers I guess the next question is do you? If not, it would be handy to know why.
Old 3rd October 2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Dissi is offline Dissi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
A quick simulation based on manufacturer datasheets shows the speaker is better than feared. Give it a try and have fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SimulationAlbertli.jpg (101.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg CrossoverAlbertli.jpg (62.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 3rd October 2015, 04:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Hi Albert. If Scott17 likes these crossovers I guess the next question is do you? If not, it would be handy to know why.
Allen,

First of all I haven't said I didn't like it from start. I put my respect to Scott 17 for his generously provided me all info I'd need to make this possible. He again didn't say this speaker design is unbeatable, but he encouraged me to try since I have them in hand.
He has a big heart I'm sure for the reason that he also encourages me to float this project to the forum and wish if there are somebody could give comment and or advice to tweet it better. I'm old and know nothing about electronics, but I trust this forum for the reason that I have finished some good amplifiers with the helps from members at the forum over the years. I pay respect to all guys not only giving comment but also giving advice to help members like me to make something for fun/ enjoyment. I hope all experienced members would answer naive questions for not all members are electronic engineers. I want to learn even at my age, but have to have someone to guide me along.
I have this project finished and I have been listening to them for almost a week now. I'd give detail report after the first 100 hours. And of course this project will keep open for ideas and advice.
Regards

Albert
Old 3rd October 2015, 04:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissi View Post
Hi,
A quick simulation based on manufacturer datasheets shows the speaker is better than feared. Give it a try and have fun!
Dissi,

Thanks so much for your simulation. They're singing for me at the moment and they sound good. I float this up for advice and see if someone would help make it better.
Thanks again

Albert

Hide this!Advertise here!