Goldwood might be a klipsch OEM?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I'm was just browsing parts express and found a woofer/midbass that looks strikingly similar to the woofer on my klipsch R-15Ms.
Look at a picture of each:

41r7zsSaR9L._SY355_.jpg

Goldwood GW-S525

Klipsch-Reference-R-15M-Front-Seitlich3.jpg

Klipsch R-15M

The woofer cones look identical, I have the R-15Ms in front of me, and I can't spot any difference in the cones. The Freq response is near the same as the klipsch driver. The only real difference between them is the efficiencey. The klipsch is of coarse extremely efficient coming in at 94db / 2.83v and the goldwood coming in at 87 db / 2.83v.

This has me wondering; Does klipsch have the same driver, but with a more efficient motor? The cone is The same, There is even a fillet where the dust cap meets the cone on both, exactly the same. They both have the same frame and bolt pattern (With the bezel removed on the klipsch).

KSC Industries - Solutions in audio technology

The better stuff is made by KSC in Mexico. KSC also does most of the stuff for Polk too.
http://www.kscind.com/kscind/main.htm
Albert Von Schweikert

History

While at the California Institute of Technology, Albert worked under the tutelage of Dr. Richard Heyser, who at the time was using the lab to develop a new measurement system, later called Time Delay Spectrometry.
In 1982, the Cal Tech research led to a position with ESS laboratories with Dr. Oscar Heil, inventor of the Heil Air Motion Transformer (AMT).
From 1987 to 1989, Albert worked as a driver designer and quality assurance engineer with KSC Industries, the second largest driver manufacturer in the world. During his time with KSC, he worked on more than 100 projects for companies such as Apogee, Bose, Cerwin Vega, JBL, Jensen, NHT and Paramount Pictures.
http://www.vonschwei...om/db99main.htm

Yup. 94dB/2.83/1m is ridiculously efficient. For a 5" driver, hard to believe. :D

Is the Klipsch a polycone or a metal driver sprayed gold is more interesting.
Goldwood GW-S525/4 5-1/4" Poly Cone Woofer 4 Ohm

You should be able to tell by tapping the cone. And measure the DC resistance, because I see that Klipsch are a bit vague on impedance.
R-15M Bookshelf Monitor Speaker | Klipsch

But I certainly think you are onto something there.

The klipsch drivers are IMG or injection molded graphite, so they're essentially poly cones. They're sprayed with some sort of copper.
I'm not to keen on tearing apart my r-15Ms because they're still in warranty and I don't really want to void that.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

The caps say KSC, the resistors say KSC, even the wire is marked KSC (on many models).

The early KG2, KG4, etc woofers were sourced from Oaktron (Klipsch later bought the tooling)

The newer tweeters were made by Hepner (same source as for Cerwin Vega), when Ray Hepner died Klipsch bought the tooling.

Hi,

There are companies that only provide parts of the speaker,
such as the cones, surrounds, spiders, voicecoils, baskets,
magnetic system, etc, to other companies.
Seemingly identical cone types doesn't mean a lot.

More likely is Goldwood use the same source for cones.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.