Martin Logan Monolith III bass fix?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It`s done a friend helped me measure the resonant peak, which was about 4-5db at 40hz. The LCR network to get this flat is 18mh in series with 900uf in series with 5.6ohm across the bass speaker, in the Monolith`s case it`s easy to fit outside as the xover is outside the box.
These values for the LCR are for my speakers which are 100% stuffed this may vary from the standard which is only 30% stuffed.
Anyhow the bass is now tight smooth and dynamic, much different to the standard one note bass the the Monoliths had.
One day i may do the standard measurements, but i like the detailed tight sound of an overdamped, low Q bass, it suits my not so large listening room.

Cheers george

Sorry you could`nt be more wrong, the amp being used on the bass is the 250 watt Threshhold S500mk2 which can double it`s wattage into 4ohm and then again into 2ohm.
The thing that made me do this is, the difference taking the network out in a pair of B&W 801 Matrix II`s, it sounded just like the Monolith`s standard put it back and all`s tight again. And in the case of the B&W`s the values are 20mh/800uf/10ohm.
These networks really work and you`ll find them on the bass of only the best speakers, as the price of such a network is very expensive because of the very high values.
Cheers George

sreten said:
Theorectically with a standard voltage output power
amplifier the network will have no audible effect.

:) sreten.

Here it will have a audible efect...because if the network as george tell us is connected to back of the bass driver...they see a series impedance of the low pass filter of the woofer...is not voltage drive anymore!!

If that was not possible ,nobody will put zobel ,in crossovers networks ,anymore...;)

Tube_Dude said:

Here it will have a audible efect...because if the network as george tell us is connected to back of the bass driver...they see a series impedance of the low pass filter of the woofer...is not voltage drive anymore!!

If that was not possible ,nobody will put zobel ,in crossovers networks ,anymore...;)

Hi TD & GH,

You are correct it will have some theorectical effect if the bass
units crossover has some series resistance / impedance at
low frequencies.

I didn't take note of the crossover also being outside the box.

Glad it works !

:) sreten.

I tried George's notch filter and it works

The bass tightens up significantly but sounds fuller and more robust at the same time. It allows one to follow more inner details in the critical octaves handled by the ML III woofer. There is more air around bass viols, celli, bassoons, bass guitars, lower voice registers. It is flat out better IMO. It pushes the soundstage back further while adding body to the instruments and voices within that soundstage and oh BTW it becomes more dynamic in the mid bass.

I'd say it was a bargain for the price.

I`m glad someones finally tried this mod. I was starting to think that i was the only one who noticed that the Monolith`s bass had some issues that needed a cheap quick fix, Ted you`ve expressed yourself correctly as far as the mod, i`m glad it work out well for you as it did for me.
Of the 2500 odd monolith pairs out there in the world you would think others would be dying to fix the slow ill-defined bass they have.
Maybe now that you`ve started the ball rolling with my mod others may get the courage to do it, not that it`s hard to do.

BTW the mod values remain the same even for the standard amount of stuffing that comes form the factory. And the +5db peak is at 80hz not 40hz as i first posted (misprint).

Cheers George

Kittle, i would say that nearly all good spaekers that have no L/C/R across the bass speaker would benifit from this because all drivers in a box have a system resonace, and all bass speakers have a voice coil inductance that get gets reflected back to the crossover and makes it inaffective at that frequency, in my case 80hz, so a l/c/r network needs to be done to notch out the offending resonance. My friend Collin Wait former owner of AMW and OTOSCAN speakers who helped measure mine calls it the Motional Impeadance and you need an occilloscope, audio frequency generator, and a 10watt 20ohm resistor. to do it, and for memory it`s done twice i think with and without the resitor in place, maybe i can get Collin to resond to this thread, though he`s a bit of a recluse.

BTW i`ve now noticed the new Martin Logan Odessy and their other flagship speakers have l/c/r networks across their bass drivers

Cheers George

How do I wire this up??? Do I string everything together in series? Inductor-capacitor-resistor one end to the (-) and the other end to the (+)? I mean physically how do I do this?

Sorry to come in late here, but I have a pair of these and want to improve their bass as I have an unforgiving room.

Thanks

C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.