Series Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

Is there anybody out there who is willing to share a design for a series crossover for a Scanspeak 15W8530- k00 Mid/woof + Vifa Xt25 tweet. (1 off each)
i would like to experiment with this concept. Links on above don't really give any "exact" details or values..
Many thanks in advance.
G

Use the Ar-SXO for this configuration. I have a pair of speakers SSD2904/9800 tweet and SS15W8530K00 and I use Ar-SXO without cap, and its the best small monitor I have ever heard.
I also have a pair og XT25 and 15W8530K00 that are laying in my basemente and will make a pair, using ar-sxo with them in a month or so.

I used L1=0.10 mH, L2=1.5mH and R= (approx 8 ohms) You have to fine adjust this. Nothing more. And it sounded very good.
Here is a pic of the XO prototype.
delefilter1.JPG

A pic of the speakers;
http://82.134.72.155/hifi/other/DSCF1273.JPG

But beware. We had some problems with the electricity about a year ago. One powercable was torn in a storm and I wasn't at home. I played music at home with my Jeff Rowland power amp and when I came home It smelled burned in my living room.
The result is here:
http://82.134.72.155/hifi/other/DSCF1460.JPG

One powerresistor was completely destroyed. :smash:

Nice woodwork, did you build the cabinets ? Are they sealed or vented ? What is the box volume, and if vented what size ? what wattage is the big anodized resistor ? Why is there 2 resistors ? Have you done any measurements on them ? Do you know if this is a first order(6db/oct) slope and what frequency it crosses over at ?
I know this is alot of questions, but I am gathering information for my own speaker project. I am considering the Scan Speak 12M/4631G 4.5" midrange(playing 350hz - 3500hz) and the LCY 108,110 or 130 ribbon tweeter built in a monitor, sitting atop a bass module with a pair of Scan Speak 21W/8535-00 8" bass drivers vented playing flat to 30hz. I've read some positive things about the SSD 2904 9800 tweet, and may give it some consideration too.

I am also considering the new Seas Nextel coated paper drivers (W18NX001 and W15LY001) with the same LCY ribbon tweeter, also built in a monitor sitting atop a bass enclosure

I am also using the ar-sxo with a 9700/8530 and I must say it has top class sound. The KISS principle really works here.
Also using the standard values of .11mh, 1.5mh, 8ohm plus a zobel on woofer.
But I believe a low fz for the tweeter is really necessary as the tweeter will go quit low, so I wouldn't drive it extremely hard.
Try it with the right driver and you can't go wrong.

I use the AR xover myself as well! Glad to see others enjoy it too, mine is on the XT19 tweet and a Gefco DVC 6.5" woofer. I use the cap though, 22uF. Tremendous sound, keeping it simple.

What kind of wattage is on those resistors you capless guys are using?? My friend used a 20 watt job capless and said the sucker got so hot he couldn't even touch it! Is Peter Thomsen around anymore? The AR xover site has not been updated in years.

AR SXO Cap less

Recently i found AR SXO and try out.
The Acoustic Reality Series Crossover, AR-SXO

I am now using AR SXO capless whith my SS 15W8530K00 and XT25TG insted of Ellam XT xover.
To me, AR x-over give me more natural sounding, beter highs and less distortion.
I am very happy and will not go back to Ellam XT xover.

My values are,
L1 - 0,10mH, (2mm 0,04ohm)
L2 - 1,5mH, (2mm 0,21ohm)
R1 - 8,2omhs (10W for now but it runs hot, it should be 20w or 50W)
+ Woofer notch for 800hz(3mH+ 18mF+ 8,2ohm)

Best Regards

L C Audio Technology / Series Filter
I have used it and it sounds great. It seems to behave very nicely when attenuating the tweeter without messing up the response.
A good starting point I would say.

To note, I have used this crossover with two different speakers (the same physical XO that is) and it works really well. Only thing that I would want to change is the tweeter attenuation to match sensitivity.

Hey guys.

This XO sounds really interesting.

Im using Dual Peerless 6" 850439's with xt25tg30-04 in D'Appolito setup.

Sorry if i missed the point, but do I use.. eg.. Carlomar's values in post 14 to start with this setup?

Is the xo frequency 2K? Should I be downloading software to do this or just give it a crack?

Cant wait to hear this.

Cheers for your input guys
Dean

I have not tried series x-overs before, and I like to try them.

What I find is that the beauty of series of x-over is its simplicity and component count if it uses a 1st order x-over, once one tries to apply 2nd order and above, complications in the design set in.

From what I gather series x-over is particular applicable to those drivers which are well behave, that is no break-ups and unusual peaks or notches on the tweeters or woofers. Having said that will series x-over sounds as good or better than an equivalent parallel x-over.

I have heard that the xt25 should not be crossed lower than 2k because of heavy levels of 3rd harmonic distortion caused below this point by a large peak in the impedance.

It doesn't sound like you guys are having this problem with the series XO but I'm not sure what frequency you are actually crossing at?

Dean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.