Yamaha NS670 re-cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I noticed my big yam's are sounding a little dull, well to my ears anyway.

Im thinking about changing the caps, is this a good idea?

Thios is what I found inside.

160 V 2.7 M

MPM 3.5UF 100 WV . AC

CEP 50V 18uf (M)

CE P 50V 47uf (M)

Can these be replaced with modern equivalent's?
The first two I am unsure about, I don't recognise the values, the last two I'm not sure about CE P CEP and (M)

Can anyone help me choose the right caps please?

DSCF1811-1.jpg

SAM_0224.jpg

SAM_0222.jpg

SAM_0217.jpg

SAM_0216.jpg

SAM_0215.jpg

SAM_0213.jpg

SAM_0212.jpg

SAM_0211.jpg

SAM_0206.jpg

SAM_0208.jpg

SAM_0210.jpg

I like Bennic, or Dayton (probably made by Bennic).

Add a 0.1µF foil-and-film in parallel for a bit more 'sparkle' on the top end.

I used to use Solen, but I think the Bennic are a better value, and sound the same (or better).

Ask the guys at Speakerplans.com for what's available in the UK.

Hello guys, sorry for necroing this thread, however I have the same problem, only I need to revive a pair of NS10s (same capacitors).

I have almost no knowledge of the electric parts, but my tech had said to me that I need to order the replacement for 160V 2.7M capacitors. Higher in the thread a 2.7uf 160VAC had been recommended, although I struggle to find the caps with these values on both Mouser and Farnell websites.
Are these this rare? Could someone kindly direct me to the place where capacitors with these specs can be purchased?

Many thanks in advance!

If going for modern film caps of any operating higher voltage than say the Bennic's 160V* , they could start to take up far more space than the BPE - to the point that you might want to think about "outboarding" them . They can also get a bit "spendy" - even without going silly golden-eared audiophile approved. The Bennics or should be fine .

* am I the only one who wonders why anything higher than that is silly for use in a loudspeaker crossover?

BTW, the NS670s were a delightful speaker - very nicely built. I much preferred them to the 690s, and any speakers of that vintage with the Marantz name on them.

Hello guys, sorry for necroing this thread, however I have the same problem, only I need to revive a pair of NS10s (same capacitors).

I have almost no knowledge of the electric parts, but my tech had said to me that I need to order the replacement for 160V 2.7M capacitors. Higher in the thread a 2.7uf 160VAC had been recommended, although I struggle to find the caps with these values on both Mouser and Farnell websites.
Are these this rare? Could someone kindly direct me to the place where capacitors with these specs can be purchased?

Many thanks in advance!

That's a standard value of Bennic Polyester cap readily available from folks like Solen and Madisound - but interestingly enough, not included in the Parts Express Dayton branded polypropylene list.

They are cheap enough (less than $2 ea) that the shipping cost could easily be more than the parts - so while you're at it, you might want to fill up your shopping cart . ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.