Horn adapter for rectangular speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I found this driver https://images6.static-thomann.de/pics/atg/atgdata/document/specs/269244.pdf and would like to put it a tractrix horn. Is it possible to get/make a horn adapter that goes from 4" x 1" (25cm2) to round 2" throat. I don't want to make any compression so sd will not change. But the ? is, will I run into anormalities/distortion due to the throat change?

Regards Sebastian

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

For a properly smooth transition, the adapter needs to have a phase plug to keep the transition relatively short, especially with such a high aspect ratio, otherwise the entire horn except for possibly its 'bell' mouth ideally needs to be the 'adapter' since we want the transition radius to ideally = the horn's low corner frequency; so at minimum the horn must be truncated to keep the axial length the same and use either a foam insert or foam or similar around its mouth to damp any serious reflections/HOMs due to any abruptness in the transition in what is now a diffraction horn of sorts and use some form of EQ to offset any HF roll-off.

GM

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.