B&W Driver Specs for Crossover Design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2015, 07:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default B&W Driver Specs for Crossover Design

Hi All,

I have some NOS drivers out of B&W 602 speakers that I want to put in some old sealed speaker boxes (about 13 L). The tweeters are ZZ11541 that were used in 602 (and 601) Series 2 speakers. The woofer/midrange are ZZ10129 that were used in the 602 Series 1 speakers. I have found schematics for the cross overs used in the B&W speakers at B&W Group North America Service & Support - B&W Archive Manuals & CAD Drawings, however these drivers were never used together in the same speaker, and the 602 series speakers were ported. So what crossover components to use? I can't find any spec sheets or frequency response/impedence data to do a design of my own.

My first thought is to use the 602 S2 cross-over design and see how that goes. These speakers will not be used for a secondary system, primarily for background listening in the workshop/bbq etc. and sound quality is not super critical, but I'd like them to be OK. I will be sourcing an amplifier/dac to run them with.

Cheers,
Cameron
Old 30th August 2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Difficult to tell without measurements, but the mixture of the two filters should be good enough - use the low-pass filter from 601 Series 1 and the high-pass filter from 601 Series 2. The difference between inductors from the two versions of low-pass filters is very small - Series 1 use 1.2 mH and Series 2 use 1.1 mH, so go for 1.2 mH. For the tweeter it is a bit tricky, because it's high pass filter is designed with the front mounting plate in mind, which has small shallow waveguide. If you don't have the original front plate of the 602 loudspeaker, you can't get the same tweeter acoustic response, even with the same crossover from the 602 Series 2.
Porting (or not) the woofer/midrange has no consequence on the crossover. However, porting the 13 L box will bring a little bit more deep bass.
Old 30th August 2015, 02:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your response, Sonce, it makes sense and will provide a good starting point. I've done some reading about wave guides and I see that they can increase the sensitivity of the tweeter. I was kind of expecting that the one area of the crossover that I'd need to play with the most is the attenuation of the tweeter (only a 1.8 ohm resistor in the 602 S2 circuit), and the fact that I won't be using a waveguide will make this more so.

Hide this!Advertise here!