Best 6-8” midrange for TPL-150H, xo @ 2kHz, sensitivity above 94dB/W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LewinskiH01: In a (2nd August 2015, 05:43) post you noted that "I have purchased Beyma TPL-150H for tweeters. I also have the the Hypex amps I'll use with the midbass, the subwoofers, and the crossover.
==========================

Have you listened to your TPL-150H at a few different Xover frequencies from 1400Hz to 2000Hz?

Not yet, unfortunately. I did assemble the Hypex UcD amps and I'm assembling right now the needed cables to try them out. Let's hope I don't see smoke! :)
For the record, the Hypex will be used for midbass, while tweeter/midrange will be handled by my tube amp (MC275).

The new DAC/crossover is here too, and plan to install it tomorrow.

My plan is to get all of these working, then build a stand to test the TPLs with a xo and break them in. Several weekends of work.

------Can you delay your purchase until 12P80Nd_v2 +TPL-150H test results from vinylnvalves?
Most certainly. I'm following his thread with attention. However, the big concession there will be directivity match and xo point for the TPL. Yes, it can work down to 1.5kHz and some here have gotten excellent results. Yet others recommend using the TPL starting up higher.

Using a "special" 10" - 12" midbass covering ~100Hz up to 1400-1600Hz removes crossover CRAP from the vocal range. Your plan is to put a crossover at 450Hz. 440Hz is middle A .... every voice.... every instrument tunes to middle A. Most TPL-150H designs accept minor artifacts from a low'ish tweeter crossover frequency to avoid a vocal range Xover. It has been demonstrated that a few "special" 10"-12" midbass produce the 80degree polar response to match the TPL-150H around 1400-1600Hz and also produce the effortless dynamics that the TPL was designed for.

A special 12" would be the 12P80Nd. Which 10" would be special, appart from AE TD10M?

Point taken about trying to have the xo point lower. Will look into it.
------------------

=============
((Have you run the TPL-150H through a break-in period for the pleated diaphragm? A slow, medium power sweep of something like a 1200Hz up 20Khz. You can include a series cap (maybe 100uF) for safety.

Have you downloaded free measurement S/W like HOLM to both develop your measurement skills and obtain SPL graphs of your TPL's?))
I have been using REW for a while now. Recently (6 months ago?) bought Acourate for measurements, DRC, XO, time-alignment of drivers. Should be fun!

Hi,

I have done some measurement on the TPL-150 Diaphram, and can also confirm a quite severe resonance at 1800Hz. you can have a look at some measurements I've done here(Sorry in danish):
HIFI4ALL Forum: Lyd laboratoriet (forvrængning)

I tried to dampen it in several ways but didn't really succeed. (look at the next pages)

With a sharp digital crossover, it's not a showstopper though :)

Thanks for the link. Not too easy to follow due to poor translation and it seems you were tweaking the unit well beyond the enclosure, so not sure what relates to what. I will keep the resonance at 1.8kHz in mind, though.

What do you use for midrange with this driver? What's your crossover point, slope, etc?

FWIW, DSP will allow me sharp crossovers and linearizing the driver. Even though it can handle a resonance like that, it would be best to manage it at the driver and avoid forcing it to submission through digital signal processing.

I'm glad you guys brought this up.

How are you doing here LewinskiH01 ?

I have the 8PE21, but i keep thinking about trying the audax pr170mo for better directivity matching and crossing higher for avoiding the distortions below.

Thoughts?

Hello.

Not sure I'm a good source for you as I have not heard neither driver. How high do you cross the 8pe21 and what is it you don't like about it? What kind of xo? (Active/passive, slopes)

"That's Italian"

The $150-$160 Faital 8PR155 and 8PR210 have Le control aluminum shorting ring, and SPL measurements for the 45-degree polar curves appear to have the proper beaming around 2,000Hz to blend well with the +/- 40 degree horizontal TPL 150 horn.

8PR155 has Fs=90Hz to allow 97db sensitivity.
8PR210 has Fs=65Hz for lower bass with corresponding lower 95db sensitivity.

Solid cabernet... not trendy Pinot noir

Hello.

Not sure I'm a good source for you as I have not heard neither driver. How high do you cross the 8pe21 and what is it you don't like about it? What kind of xo? (Active/passive, slopes)

I was wondering what midrange you ended up at .

I am pleased with the 8pe21, but there is always something to improve.
with a 6.5" i can match better directivity at the crossover frequency the tpl is comfortable with.

I could do a brickwall (or 48db 8th order) should be enough to get away from the 1.8khz resonance. But i don´t know how so steep crossovers affect other parts?
Anyone have any thoughts / experiences about linear brick wall crossovers?

I run between my 6.5" / TPL linear phase brickwall 2,2k, lake processors steepness is frequency variable and 2.2k crosses around 92db/oct

i have listened 1st, 2nd and 4rd order xo´s and my ears are quite fixed with LPBW xo.

i dont hear xo ringing, 2nd is worst of those xo´s, LPBW looks best from polar response point of view. 1st order sounds quite good too but throws sound all the place.

I run between my 6.5" / TPL linear phase brickwall 2,2k, lake processors steepness is frequency variable and 2.2k crosses around 92db/oct

i have listened 1st, 2nd and 4rd order xo´s and my ears are quite fixed with LPBW xo.

i dont hear xo ringing, 2nd is worst of those xo´s, LPBW looks best from polar response point of view. 1st order sounds quite good too but throws sound all the place.

Sounds Good. I am / was skeptical at the steep brick wall crossovers, since many people are negative. Probably because of matching drivers with very different directivity.

I could try the same with my minidsp, but since i have a 8" midrange i could place the crossover at 2khz and still avoid the 1.8khz distortion to the minimum .

I was wondering what midrange you ended up at .

I am pleased with the 8pe21, but there is always something to improve.
with a 6.5" i can match better directivity at the crossover frequency the tpl is comfortable with.

I could do a brickwall (or 48db 8th order) should be enough to get away from the 1.8khz resonance. But i don´t know how so steep crossovers affect other parts?
Anyone have any thoughts / experiences about linear brick wall crossovers?

I have not "ended" :eek:

After much research I went with a faital Pro M5N12-80, 5" midrange, to be used in a horn. I've been experimenting with DIY horns, and frankly have been with very little disposable time to work on it, but I made some progress. I am also considering alternatives.

I have not "ended" :eek:

After much research I went with a faital Pro M5N12-80, 5" midrange, to be used in a horn. I've been experimenting with DIY horns, and frankly have been with very little disposable time to work on it, but I made some progress. I am also considering alternatives.

Ok, the Faital looks promising.

I have ordered the PR170mo to replace the B&C 8PE21. I have always hoping to try them, since everyone past and present are raving about them.

Hopefully general better midrange quality, better dispersion match, and i can cross the TPL higher over the distortion range.

They are going on a 23" wide baffle which is curved both horizontally and vertically, like a partially sphere.

sure thing
SxsMglW.jpg

here is b&w fst´s figures for the reference
handheld driver maybe 15cm front

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.