Ceramic multicell horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently I bought these ceramic multicell horns, they come with the specification of
Cutoff frequency 1600Hz
and Xover 3200Hz
They can be connected to with 1” compression drivers.

I am brand new at this I appreciate all the help.
Which compressor driver best fit this horns(frequency response should have) and what is the best working point.

Thanks for the help

MFF

Attachments

• 57.JPG
    57.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
I Thanks for replying!
I bought them on ebay.

Cutoff frequency at 1600Hz it means the lower part of the frequency response
as it said to be Xover at 3200Hz is the region where the horn best responds
am I seeing this correctly?

Once again
Thanks for the help

The best xover frequency may depend on your woofer. If you have a low frequency driver that will play high enough, a 3200 hz crossover might be a good idea because it will put the crossover outside of the vocal range.

If the low frequency driver dies before 1600hz, push the crossover down. It depends on the overall setup.

I think the best approach is the first, Get a cone driver that is almost a full range by itself, then use the horn to extend the HF past what the cone can do, as a great tweeter. This approach doesn't require much calculation and filter technology if the drivers are really good to start out with.

A single cap floating the tweeter in up high above a full range 12" or similar can sound really fine and this is a common DIY arrangement.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Typically, if a horn extends to a certain frequency, in this case 1600Hz, a good practice is to set the XO at least an octave above so you get a smooth response in the stop band.

With steep XO's (4th order and higher) you can get much closer, like 2kHz even. But it also depends on how high up your mid or woofer is going.

With a 1600 Hz cutoff/3200 Hz XO 2nd order, a ~6" wide BW mid-bass driver with a ~127 Hz Fs and usable to >6400 Hz would be my choice.

You could try an 8"/~87 Hz Fs, 2200 Hz/4th XO, but may sound too harsh at higher power or even damage the HF's diaphragm.

Of course if you have a very narrow toe'd in,'sweet spot' and don't care about off axis response, then a 12" Altec/GPA 414 or similar wide BW woofer along with a GPA 909 or similar HF driver; or if you do, put the woofer or even an Altec/GPA 416 or 515 or similar in a large enough WG to focus its upper mids, HF and suspend the HF horn inside with digital TD to align it. For this, empirically finding the right XO is usually required without extensive measurements.

GM

I will build a 3-way system, but must be effective above 98..dB
for the middle range I'll opt for the Fostex D1405.
But for the Woofer I need a good suggestion in the range of 10” to 12” 98..dB 50Hz to 3500Hz...
I have a tube amplifier SET 10W.

Tnaks for the help

I think you're right 3,500 is probably asking too much, as I will use the compression driver from Fostex D1405, I can come down as low as 845Hz.
Is any good hi efficiency woofer that I can use for this range let's say, 50Hz to 1kHz?

I liked if possible to keep a 3 Way configuration

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.