JBL L-150 Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Regis is offline Regis  United States
diyAudio Member

Default JBL L-150 Question

Zach, are you out there? Anybody know what woofers came with the JBL L-150's. My little brother just got his back after selling them 14 years ago (partially inspired by my garage sale JBL speaker project) and the guy he sold them to, replaced one of the original JBL woofers with some POS speaker. It's the 12 inch with the 10 1/4 lb magnet. Any info would be appreciated, so I can hunt down a new/used one.

(BTW, are the 12" passive radiators, simply unpowered speakers on this model?)

Thank you!

Regis
Old 9th February 2004, 09:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hey all,
My little brother decided he'll try to pull the individual components out of the speakers and identify them for me (He's not exactly super mechanically oriented) and he's a 75 mile round trip for me.

Still would like to know what exactly a JBL Passive Radiator is all about (unpowered speaker, or a speaker that has/doesn't have a voice coil or leads?)
Old 9th February 2004, 09:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Regis
Hey all,
My little brother decided he'll try to pull the individual components out of the speakers and identify them for me (He's not exactly super mechanically oriented) and he's a 75 mile round trip for me.
So you know the model number. What is it?
BTW, 75mi is my daily commute to and from work.
Quote:
Still would like to know what exactly a JBL Passive Radiator is all about (unpowered speaker, or a speaker that has/doesn't have a voice coil or leads?)
The JBL, or any passive radiator is an alternative to a port, and visa-versa. If the port size/length becomes impractical, it may be the case that a passive radiator will provide the same function. It will resonate at the box tuning frequency (fb) and provide the lowest half octave of output for the speaker.
Old 9th February 2004, 10:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Rodd, it's basically as you said. I researched it after you posted and it's basically a speaker without a voice coil or leads, but damped nonetheless.

This one's for Zach. My brother just pulled the speakers and the woofer is a Model 128H. The other damaged one was replaced a long time ago with a cheesy non-JBL woofer by someone else. On the L-110 schematic, I noticed that there were replacement options for each driver. What would be the replacement driver for the 128H woofer?
Old 9th February 2004, 11:55 PM   #5

Quote:
What would be the replacement driver for the 128H woofer?
With the white cone, I'm thinking the 123A but don't know for sure. Where's that Zach at anyway?
Old 11th February 2004, 05:22 AM   #6

Regis,

Just thought I'd let you know about this eBay auction for LE5-10s and 033's.
Old 11th February 2004, 11:11 AM   #7
Doug is offline Doug  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default L-150

Here is a link to a Lansing forum. Someone there will probably be able to help you.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...p?s=&forumid=1

Doug

Hide this!Advertise here!