Small quater wave budget build. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 18th August 2015, 03:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default Small quater wave budget build.

Hey all! !

I got some great advise from you all before on my FhXL 10p . And it was so helpful im back for more! :P this time i promise to be more active during the process!

Well basically I want to build as a gift for a friend a set of speakers, i wanna keep it budget.
I'm thinking a set of small floor standers (two way or single fullrange) the recipient does like bass . So maybe a flat to dark sound sig. But really it doesnt matter too much.

For a say 20wpc amp.

Said friend said he heard a set many years ago, roughly 2foot tall, and was really impressed with the sound for size, it was a quater wave horn cabinet. Attempting a roughhh replication.
Im also exclusively after a quater wave design. Resembling the fhxl in function.

If any one can point me in the right direction as far as design names etc that stand out as successful, be greatly appreciated.

Say budget of 80 USD /100AUD (speakers/crossover if req)

From his description im thinking it looked something like attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png TQWT3.png (63.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 18th August 2015, 04:28 PM   #2
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member
If you used this driver:

Visaton BG20-8 8" Full-Range Speaker with Whizzer Cone 8 Ohm

You could go with this cabinet:
I did some sims using published specs awhile back and got the best tradeoff between eff/BW in a straight ML-TL. Like any ~max flat alignment speaker, it may need baffle step compensation, and with this driver, some form of EQ to tame the mids 'shout'/drooping HF response as already noted.

All dims are inside:

L = 26.93"

w = 16.91"

d = 10.43"

driver down 12.5" from top

3" dia x 1.75" long vent near/at bottom - make longer if a more rolled off response is desired.

19mm 13ply Baltic Birch or Appleply material preferred.

Minimal stuffing, just enough to keep reflections from coming back through the cone.

I recommend making the cab long enough to get the driver up to ear height and fill the extra bottom cavity with Kitty Litter, cement, sterile sand, or equal to mass load the cab and use this tweak to mass load the driver:

If you decide to build it, let us know what you think, and what, if anything you did differently to improve it, etc..

At this link: What Enclosure for Visaton-BG-20

You can check this link too: Frugal-phile DIY Audio Community Site
There aren't any plans specifically for that driver, but there are several designs for other drivers.

I Googled that driver and found this enclosure. You'll probably find more with a Google search.
Marantz PM8003 amp, Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, MLTL Continuums; MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns, MarkAudio CHP-70s

Hide this!Advertise here!