Drivers from vintage '64 Wharfedale W90 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2015, 02:15 PM   #1
OTLguy is offline OTLguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Drivers from vintage '64 Wharfedale W90

Greetings, Great forum by the way--great work contained within. My question is aimed at the Wharfie experts out there with knowledge of the W90 speaker and all its versions.

My question specifically, did Wharfedale W90 speakers ever utilize tweeters that were NOT the 11/15 Ohm impedance? There were 2/3 Ohm versions produced during the same period.
Old 19th August 2015, 02:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've owned several sets of the W90s. W70s and W60s.....

The Ferrite Magnet Super 3 Tweeters in most of mine were of the 8 ohm nominal variety with actual DCR usually in the range of 6.5 ohms which is about par for the course.

I've found that the complement of tweeters in the W90s often varied greatly in terms of design....some fitted with Alnico versions other with Ferrite versions and sometimes even mixed between the two versions depending on the production date and run.

The Super 3s employed in the W70 and W60 are exactly the same as those found in the W90s so if you're looking for spare ones you needn't think they were exclusive to the W90 design.

The 11/16 ohm versions I've seen were found in the earliest iterations of the W60 to W90 and have been exclusively of AlniCO construction.

I've never come across 2/3 ohm versions.
Old 19th August 2015, 11:44 AM   #3
OTLguy is offline OTLguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the info. I'm looking for vintage early 60s Wharfedale Super 3 tweeters of the 10/15 ohm impedence to pair with my Super 8 full range of the same impedance. Ceramic or AlNiCo magnets make no difference to me. Thanks again for your helpful information.

Hide this!Advertise here!