B&W 803 for F.A.S.T.?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So for sale locally is a pair of B&W 803 matrix S2 speakers which are missing the tweeters and with one mid range shagged. The other mid works and all 4 bass drivers and cabinet are fine. They are also cheap.

So, is this the sort of thing you could convert into a fast? The speakers are bi-amp-able so bass drivers run off their own crossover.

I guess you'd use a 3-6 or so full range for mids and highs?
You could modify the mid cab volume to suit the full range.

what do you think?

It sounds very fast FAST capable. I made a pair last year with this layout (4" plus two 6.5"). The 4" was a high Qts TV speaker, in a short, fully stuffed line which vented to the rear.

Caveats:

Given that the B&W is 20 years old and thrashed, I'd hope they are VERY cheap, or that you can inspect thoroughly before you buy.

They are finished in black wood-grain vinyl, right? I'd recommend tearing that off and re-skinning them.

The specs may have changed from age / abuse. If the magnets are a bit weak, the port tuning might be off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.