Purely acoustic crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone used a sealed enclosure as a high pass filter? I'm looking at maybe using 2 Dayton rs100-4 as extended range midranges in a 3-way. My goal is to cross low to a woofer where the crossover won't be too noticeable. I was thinking, what if I built a sealed enclosure that was about 1.5 liters for both drivers. This would lead to an fb of 144 hz, a total q of .9 and f3 of 120hz. So wouldnt the response essentially act like a second order 120hz high pass with a slightly higher q than a standard lr crossover?

Attachments

• Phenolic Ring Tweeter.PNG
    Phenolic Ring Tweeter.PNG
    29.1 KB · Views: 339
  • Visaton M10.PNG
    Visaton M10.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 335
Has anyone used a sealed enclosure as a high pass filter? I'm looking at maybe using 2 Dayton rs100-4 as extended range midranges in a 3-way. My goal is to cross low to a woofer where the crossover won't be too noticeable. I was thinking, what if I built a sealed enclosure that was about 1.5 liters for both drivers. This would lead to an fb of 144 hz, a total q of .9 and f3 of 120hz. So wouldnt the response essentially act like a second order 120hz high pass with a slightly higher q than a standard lr crossover?

You can do this as you describe. Some problems are:

If the mid and woofer are both level response, not hp/lp slopes, then you can get a highbass peak as both drivers sum ~ 120Hz

At bass you are driving both in parallel so the system is low ohms at bass.

Very low xovers sound like a good idea in theory [say when drivers are closer than 1/4 wavelength] but in a passive xover it can throw up problems, like having a messy upper bass, expensive parts, or not finding a sensitive enough low bass driver to match mid levels.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
You could use a capacitor to cross below fc, and a second order filter would improve power handling etc. Closer to fc second order is a little less sensitive to the impedance peak. Filtering the peak would help more, but a cap at the input to the amp would be just as good.

This is one of those interesting, off-the-wall ideas that actually has something going for it.

Eminence build a sealed back midrange that does exactly what maggiesnmacs is thinking about.

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

In practise you are going to end up with a sharp high Q knee at the bottom. The theory says you will hear that resonance. Once you filter it with a crossover you end up with a sharpish rolloff. This overall sharp bend is called a Chebyshev filter. TBH, it's not often employed in speakers, I think I prefer gentler smoother curves, but OTOH, until you build it and give it a listen, who's to knock it? :D

I show you the sim with a 5" midrange in 0.5L and 8L below. You'd obviously modify the filter for the smaller midrange enclosure.

Attachments

• Eminence 6 inch closed back midrange.PNG
    Eminence 6 inch closed back midrange.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 268
  • Acoustic Crossover 0.5L mid.PNG
    Acoustic Crossover 0.5L mid.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Why do you want to use that size of midrange enclosure? What are the advantages of the peak at 144Hz? At the levels I listen at in my small UK rooms, excursion would not be a problem but a lot of forum members listen at high levels in big rooms. I think the point bigbottom makes of low impedance at bass frequencies is very valid.

I'm all for running an idea up the flagpole and seeing if anyone salutes. But after a brief look I really don't like the midrange in a small volume idea. :)

Let's look at this rather lovely 4" scanspeak mid:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-fullrange/scanspeak-discovery-10f/8414g-10-4-full-range/

I don't know quite what Troels is doing with it here, but it looks like about 4L of enclosure.
ScanSpeak-3W-Discovery

If you go smaller on enclosure, you end up with a bass peak that just goes away totally from the Steen Duelund theory. The whole idea is smooth curves that integrate well and magically line up phase. Impedance looks quite benign except for the usual reflex bass impedance horrors. Maybe closed box might suit a valve amplifier better.

FWIW, I found that offsetting the mid and tweeter to the cabinet edge was essential to avoid some unpleasant diffraction dips.

Attachments

• Troels Gravesen SS 3 way.PNG
    Troels Gravesen SS 3 way.PNG
    88.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Duelund a=2.83.JPG
    Duelund a=2.83.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Troels Gravesen SS 3 way Impedance.PNG
    Troels Gravesen SS 3 way Impedance.PNG
    52.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Those drivers get you towards FAST territory. 1.86 litres each driver, total Q .707 F3 113 Hz. How about just adding a sub that goes high enough? Unless the level of output you need will overload the mid drivers.

Two 4ohm drivers in parallel, and then another bass driver in parallel is not amplifier friendly at all (or were you planning on using the midrangers in series?)

The first speaker system I built (when I was 12) was a 12 inch woofer and a 6 inch full range driver in a big cabinet. I put a cap in series with the 6 inch driver, which may have been in a sub-enclosure (can't remember). I had no idea how to get the cabinet volume right. I didn't know the math for calculating the cap size. I just looked at what other speakers used for a cap, and guessed from there. I did jam a bunch of fiberglas insulation in the cabinet to reduce resonances.

It was horrible from a technical standpoint, based on what I know now, and yet I enjoyed the result. I guess the more mistakes you make, the more you get to learn. That was about 100 speaker projects ago. It's been a fun hobby. Now I'm 60 yrs old and still doing it.

Designing and building a very excellent speaker system is actually very complicated if you strive for perfection. It could overwhelm a newbie. Having good tone controls in the preamp can help make a poor speaker much more listenable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.