Silver wire? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2004, 01:04 AM   #1
Theli is offline Theli  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Silver wire?

I`ve read some topics here about silver wire being used on speaker, internally at least. If the internal wires are silver, what about the voice coils? And the wires form the amp to the speaker connections are usually copper, no? So...any gain would be lost or am I wrong?
Old 9th February 2004, 01:11 AM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes the driver and crossover coils are silver wire,
special cables are also needed.

Don't think you can get silver capacitors, could be wrong.

One test used runs of voice coil wire for the cables.

Pointlessly expensive IMO, nowhere near cost effective.

sreten.
Old 9th February 2004, 01:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Silver wire?

Quote:
Originally posted by Theli
I`ve read some topics here about silver wire being used on speaker, internally at least. If the internal wires are silver, what about the voice coils? And the wires form the amp to the speaker connections are usually copper, no? So...any gain would be lost or am I wrong?
You're not wrong.

But wait. . . . it won't be long before some twit will suggest that you do the internal wiring in silver and get silver speaker cable as well because silver sound sooooooo much better than that awful copper stuff.
Old 9th February 2004, 10:27 PM   #4
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Unless it is interconnects your money probably better spent on other items

Quote:
Originally posted by Theli
If the internal wires are silver, what about the voice coils?
Lowther offers Silver voice coils as an option. They are recommended when they want the additional weight of the silver to damp the travel - I have never seen them market them as a "quality of sound" as in it sounds better with silver voice coils.

I have silver wires. I am a believer that silver wire makes a difference in interconnects that is pretty easily discernable.

However, cabling to speakers is very system dependent. Silver may make a number of speakers sound bright - There are just too many variables to ensure any decent cost benefit ratio

I don't want to sell the silver speaker wire I have, but I doubt if I would buy it again. The difference was noticeable with my previous speakers but less so with my current setup.

Cabling is so much of a crap shoot that you're better to just decide on a type of standard cabling that meets your needs.

You'll get more for your money if you put the money into better components for the crossover, better drivers, etc.

Regards

Ken L

PS you will not be able to hear the difference in cabling of any sort unless/untill your whole system is high resolution.

PPS from one twit to another _big grin_
Old 9th February 2004, 10:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well I wire up my speakers with QED silver anniversary cable, sounds good to me!
Old 10th February 2004, 07:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

If anyone bothered to look up the resistivity of copper, and compared it to the resistivity of silver, they would see just how small the difference is. Ahh, but it's not about the resistance people say, it's tiny differences in the parasitic capacitance and inductance of the wires. Tell me one I haven't heard... For anyone to hear the difference between silver and copper in any of the usual audio wiring, you would have to have impossibly sensitive and accurate hearing, and at the same time be completely deaf to all the other relative trashing that the audio signal endures between the PCM and your ears.

CM
Old 10th February 2004, 10:49 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I'm with CeramicMan,

Unless you have THE best drivers money can buy, I think internal silver wire is not really in your interest. Spend the most money on your drivers and XO and wire the inside with 16ga lamp cord. Concentrating on your soldering job can have as much an effect as some fancy dancy wire that runs a max of 3 or 4 feet.

The purists might argue, but to me internal silver wiring is like putting silver plated wheels on a beater car.

Spend more on the engine, not the accessories.

Happy Cranking,
Cal
Old 10th February 2004, 10:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CeramicMan
If anyone bothered to look up the resistivity of copper, and compared it to the resistivity of silver, they would see just how small the difference is.

Yep, not much difference in conductivity, although I still bought silver hookup wire for the internal wiring of my amplifier. For me, when it comes down to it, I can't think of a better use of this metal than audio applications.

http://www.pmillett.addr.com/images/ax_wire.pdf

JF
Old 11th February 2004, 12:39 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The difference is in the sound, even few inches make a difference. It depends on a system, and not always silver wire brings improvement. Sometimes, indeed, the system may sound too bright, but usually it sounds better.

Best is to try and then say...

PS: IIRC, there was a small 2-way speaker from B&W (Signature edition) that had coils (including drivers), caps and all the wire made of silver. This was John Atkinson reference speaker for a while.
Old 11th February 2004, 05:58 PM   #10
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The choice of material in the voice coil affects the efficiency of the driver, and it can be shown that if the mass of the coil dominates the total mass, the efficiency is proportional to
1/(resistivity*density) The following mini-table shows that silver is slightly worse than copper which is quite a lot worse than aluminium.

Dens Res 1/Product
Cu 8920 1.7e-8 6600
Ag 10490 1.6e-8 6000
Al 2700 2.65e-8 14000

So, it appears to be a bad choice to use silver, apart from marketing reasons...

Hide this!Advertise here!