Enclosure and Woofer for Focal TC120k

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I am new here. I got a pair of Focal TC120k tweeters , and planned to make a pair of bookshell. Just want to know Which woofer is good for these tweeters? How about Seas Excel W17E-002, or others?
Another question is where can I find cheaper and good construction speaker enclosure?

Thanks advance!

U B welcome.
It's all matter of preference.
If you're building a two way than your options are few 8" drivers or 7 or 6 inch.
Depending on the box size and what F3 you're trying to get and driver preference. If you have cash than I would go with one of the Focal 7" Kevlars. Nothing like a pair of yellow drivers with great imaging.

Although not as pretty as the yellow drivers, the Focal 7C-ZLT from http://www.zalytron.com/ is nice sounding - It is a treated paper cone 7"er that does not have the breakup modes often seen on kevlars. Much easier to get good results without a lot of crossover design experience.

I used the crossover shown in Zalytron's budget 102 kit, with a zoebel on the woofers (10R/4.7uf).

good luck.

Thanks guys,

Actually, I hardly have any idea about the speaker design :(. However, my current speaker system is much worse than my headphone system, that is why I want to build one pair.

How do you think this one? http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1022/

It may be simple to me, and the partsexpress has the similar enclosure only a little bigger, which is easy to deal with.

BobEllis, the item that you recommend may be already sold out.

It's an old driver, so it's not listed on the Focal page of Zalytron's site. But, since Elliot says he has a bunch for his various budget kits I'll bet he still has some. 3 years ago they were $50 each. Give him a call or email him. Elliot can come off as a little gruff, but really is a good guy.

You could use the Access 7A, but you'd need to rework the crossover.The 7C-ZLT needs about 1 cubic foot each tuned to 40 Hz, for an F3 around 43 Hz.

The system that you are looking at has some excellent drivers, assuming that the crossover design is good, you should be happy with it. I've never heard either driver, so I am going on reputation only.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.