Newbie looks for small bookshelf/monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I want to replace my crappy PC speakers and collect first experiences with building my own speakers.
As a starter I´m particularly looking for simple enclosures and want to spend around 50€ in maximum for drivers for each speaker.
I´ve already looked at the Fostex FE103 and the 6liter-BR design given in the datasheet which looks simple enough (but a little big for PC).
But that´s probably too much already for nearfield (+ a little more far away) listening.
What about a Tangband W3-871S ?
Seen a lot of recommendations on using two of them in a little sealed speaker but haven´t found anything on the net.

I know I probably have to add a sub later but that´s secondary at the moment. Just want to top the PC speakers by far.

Forgive my newbieness
and thanks in anticipation

Cheers
Jens

Hi Rabbitz,
thanks for your suggestion on the Vifa drivers but I´ll probably stick to something like the Tangband W3781S as I can find a lot suggestions for easy to build enclosures and it´s price is very reasonable as well.

Talking about cheap FR drivers:
Can you recommend something from Visaton, like the FRS8 or FRS10? They almost seem to be too reasonably priced to be good.

How much better would something like a Fostex FF85K be in comparison to the W3781S from Tangband be?

thanks!
Jens

Hello Jens,

there are lots of alternatives for little PC enclosures - especially in Germany:

How about the Mivoc WPN 80? Hobby Hifi did a fullrange box from that last year.
Or try the new FR 87 from Visaton. Dead-cheap and comparable to the Fostex FE 83/87.
The Fostex FF85K is definitely better than the aformentioned speakers and the Tangband - but at a price! If you are interested in a 3 liter ML-TQWT for it (-3 dB @ 75 Hz) - I´ve got the plan.

Talking about the Tangband:
Sperr deine Augen auf in diyaudio! Da war vor kurzem ein dicker Thread mit tausend Infos!:smash:

Rudolf:D

If you do a search for the TBs with the proper spacing (w3-871s) you should find a ton of great information, including links to plenty of people building them for PC use just like you want.

I'm almost done with my cabinets, and this weekend I'm going to start building the sub cabinet. I've taped the speakers into place just to get an idea and overall I'm very impressed. The bass is suprising considering their size, the highs are very clean and crisp. Upper midrange is very impressive, but the lower midrange/midbass region leaves something to be desired, but I think that's simply due to the size of the driver. Once they are mated to my 8" DVC Dayton sub, I think I'm going to have a fantastic sounding PC. :D

Rudolf said:
Hello Jens,

there are lots of alternatives for little PC enclosures - especially in Germany:

How about the Mivoc WPN 80? Hobby Hifi did a fullrange box from that last year.
Or try the new FR 87 from Visaton. Dead-cheap and comparable to the Fostex FE 83/87.
The Fostex FF85K is definitely better than the aformentioned speakers and the Tangband - but at a price! If you are interested in a 3 liter ML-TQWT for it (-3 dB @ 75 Hz) - I´ve got the plan.

Talking about the Tangband:
Sperr deine Augen auf in diyaudio! Da war vor kurzem ein dicker Thread mit tausend Infos!:smash:

Rudolf:D

Yep, like this one maybe.

thank you very much to everybody!
I know I should do more reading and really appreciate all the help.
I´ve seen most of the sites like John´s and the Alegria Audio pages about the tangbands but get more and more puzzled and think maybe I should go a step beyond and build something better....
You probably know what I mean!?
And being not able to handle these speaker simulation software doesn´t help either.;)

I´ll definitely have a look at the FR87 from Visaton, thanks Rudolf.
They really got some cool drivers and especially the fr-drivers seem really cheap besides the big B200.
If you could send me the plan for the ML-TQWT that´d be bloody marvellous!:D mrjensdee@web.de

Cheers
Jens - reading on

what about jordan? the jx 92 seems nice too if a bit expensive.

this leads to another question...
i am looking at a few 4" widerange/fullrange speakers like the jordan jx92, fostex FE103E, fostex FE108E Sigma, TB W4-930/927/657/655 etc...

any preferences? so far i hear about teh w3871 and fostex 103 only. what about the others.

what about jordan? the jx 92 seems nice too if a bit expensive.

this leads to another question...
i am looking at a few 4" widerange/fullrange speakers like the jordan jx92, fostex FE103E, fostex FE108E Sigma, TB W4-930/927/657/655 etc...

any preferences? so far i hear about teh w3871 and fostex 103 only. what about the others.
I certainly can´t give you my own experiences but you might wanna have a look at the B200 from Visaton which seems to be a real killer when it comes to fr-drivers. (but at a price of 150€)
I think Dave mentioned it in another thread as well.
Visaton in general seems quite interesting.
I´ve seen a little "Buschhorn" with the FRS8 from Visaton which got an award for the best DIY-speaker back in 1993.
That driver costs about 12€.:bigeyes:

Cheers
Jens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.