Stuffing sealed cabinet, and duvet filling?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a small update: I borrowed some fibreglass from the loft to evaluate; as good as it clearly is for the job, I decided that I really wanted something more pleasant for the mkI cabinets, which are likely to see a lot of tinkering (sometimes in the living room) as I try different fill quantities and so on. So I went to look again at that B&Q 70% wool insulation and managed to negotiate a reduction, due to it being so wet. So decision made, and its currently hanging outside drying.

I've not used it before and first impressions are interesting. If you shake it about it results in quite a lot of small fibres floating around which I wasn't expecting, though they don't itch like FG - in fact quite the opposite, its a little oily to the touch. Its also less immediately springy than FG; the pack says it gradually reaches its specified bulk over five days. Encouragingly, I can hear it deadening sound very effectively if I hold it around my ears.

What I wasn't expecting was quite how strongly it smells of sheep - its like a flock of them has hidden in the garage somewhere! I'm imagining thats partly because its damp and has been contained in a poly bag for however many months, hopefully as it dries and airs things will dissipate a bit. I suppose if there had been a local source or if I'd been willing to pay postage it may have been worth getting some cleaner 100% stuff (such as is ready for textile use), but failing that I'm fairly happy with it so far.

Cheers
Kev

Well the 70% wool insulation finally feels dry after a very hot sunny day. Its a little less fragrant too, thankfully, though still smells like a farmyard!

So I was able to get a dry weight for it, and the roll totals almost exactly 4kg (8.8lb) so will be more than enough, assuming I end up stuffing the speakers at less than roughly 2lb per cubic foot. Testing will be needed before I know, but (searching around) 1lb to 1.5lb per cubic foot seems a fairly typical maximum people use.

Cheers
Kev

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.