tweeter double resonance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone seen the free air impedance curve like this before? The driver is a ScanSpeak 9500 just out of the box. I've measured other tweeters using the same method with no double resonance like this. Will this go away after sufficient break-in or do I need to add complexity to my crossover?

Attachments

• ss-9500_219.jpg
    ss-9500_219.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 162
You can only assume it is a deliberate acoustic resonator in the
tweeter included for a particular purpose. It will not go away.

I'd suggest it maintains response in the 1K to 2K region.
Other Scanspeak tweeters show a mild bump in the
impedance in this region but a roll-off beginning at 2K.

Its possible you have tweeters made for a particular manafacturer
with lower than standard specifications damping, but I don't think
the resonance will cause a frequency response "Bump".

Care is needed in the crossover, avoid odd order designs,
even order croosovers and any parrallel resistance (of a
series / parallel attenuator) will help supress the resonance
effect and indeed the main resonance effect.

:) sreten.

is it the scale?

I noticed the slight impedance blip at ~1.5 kHz in the manufacturer data but it looked significantly smaller than what I observed. Perhaps it is somewhat due to their scaling which appears to double impedance every division.

Also thanks for the crossover advice. I was wondering though whether I should be spending extra effort and cost to design a crossover for a speaker which is non-standard? The other tweeter looks the same, although there seems to be an overall impedance shift of about 1 ohm....now I regret not buying those matched pairs of tweeters... I'm going to double check this today.

here is the other tweeter,

Attachments

• ss-9500_213.jpg
    ss-9500_213.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 113
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.