Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

S. Harsch XO
S. Harsch XO
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2018, 11:36 AM   #591
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I suppose the peak 3-4kHz could be equalised?
Old 22nd April 2018, 12:30 PM   #592
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

S. Harsch XO
Hi Bigun,

In principle also like single driver full range very much but realize its compromises real world, so to up its performance there's a need to go multi-way and hope 2 way is enough else have plans for 3 way with 10F but it gets complicated so hope is this new 2 way trial setup will suit my needs.

About that SATORI will expect all the attention that had been put into its huge ventilation windows and other stuff will pay back with good real world numbers and that horrible peak is not loved but its up so high that it shouldn't be any problem. Below blue trace show datasheet curve plus black trace for my band-pass target and if we take that raw datasheet curve times a low pass textbook 96db/oct LR we get that orange trace and as can be seen looking -50dB down looks absolut fine, but then again because i can and have all the DSP power one can dream off i intend to EQ that raw curve flat before it gets LR low passed.

With more and more devices that pops up agree coax start looking interesting and transient perfect or not it gets XO point region dispersion to behave excellent as a real one point source, its the same reason i use full ranger as mid-tweeter and build its ctc distance within 1/8 wavelength because if that is combined with LR 96dB/oct we very close to what coax perform.
Attached Images
File Type: png 5000.png (51.4 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by BYRTT; 22nd April 2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:29 PM   #593
diyAudio Member

S. Harsch XO
Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
That Satori is fine for a Harsch XO, since the woofer is a 4th order, cutting it in between 500 to 800 should be ok...
Agree should be fine say below 500Hz when low passed 4th order or more.

Quote:
...On another note, how about some of that Fane people have been raving lately, in the 12 or 15" version, and add a nice ribbon tweeter on top to air it out?...
Be aware many whizzers have a acoustic mechanical XO point that adds excess phase shift same way as minimum phase electric networks do and you can see it in REW ask it to plot minimum phase curve that belongs to actual amplitude response using "Controls" "Generate minimum phase" and also waterfalls would be distorted by that point of delay. Don't think such mechanical feature is most linear and easy to work with and smooth out using upstream electric correction, for example if raw measurement is a precise basement one can correct a TC9 or 10F with a inverse electric correction curve upstream and driver starts to sound smooth as was it pure silk as long as ears is within a closer distance than any nasty reflection points, where my personal trials with whizzer cones never gets to that point of smooth clean magic without a layer of some buzzing signature, although will expect one can get rid of that added layer if driver is low passed and used below the mechanical XO point.

Quote:
...I've been looking at something similar lately.

A killer setup that may happen someday for me would be a nice Faital woofer, and an ESS Heil Air Motion... Wouldn't be low cost, but I think it would be money well spent.
Thoughts sounds really good and driver by driver pass band bet they probably can perform excellent, problem is often real world implementation to get their cooperation work perfect in room setup and for all track materials : )
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:43 AM   #594
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

for my OB 12" woofer and audionirvana clasisc 8", I'd like to use passive xo on AN and use behringer nu3000dsp for woofer. any advise whether this is a good path for passive approach before i buy passive xo parts? I'm thinking about 200Hz HPF for AN, maybe it does not need any delay for this low fc.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #595
diyAudio Member

S. Harsch XO
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadut View Post
for my OB 12" woofer and audionirvana clasisc 8", I'd like to use passive xo on AN and use behringer nu3000dsp for woofer. any advise whether this is a good path for passive approach before i buy passive xo parts? I'm thinking about 200Hz HPF for AN, maybe it does not need any delay for this low fc.
Hi gadut,

To be a pure Harsh filter at 200Hz it will need AN relative delayed 2,5mS (1/200 x 0,5) or physical offset about 85,75cm behind woofers acoustic center, and looking at your nice OB pictures it looks there's a super tweeter involved in system that also need that delay or physical offset, so my 2 cents would be if you end use a electric device in chain to achieve delay its smarter get a device that at same can dial in the XO slope.

S. Harsch XOHide this!Advertise here!