3-Way??? horn system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2015, 05:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 3-Way??? horn system

I have read some earlier threads about horn systems but could not find that they was that simular, in my view that is.

My plan is for a bass-BiB, a mid, rectangular Tractrix and for the top,????

I don't know if I overdid myself when I purchased the bass drivers, Beyma 15P80Nd ( LOW & MID FREQUENCY 15P80Nd | Beyma )?

Using the BiB-calculator V.2 from here:
( https://speakerprojects.wordpress.co...-loudspeakers/ )
the boxes gets really, really large. I know that you with BiBs can tune them lower than Fs, down to approx. Fs x 0.7. How is it upwards? If I go from Fs33 Hz up to Fs45 Hz I get box sizes my apartment can handle. I would like to know if there is a penalty in doing this before I try to simulate some more? I guess there will at least be some bass extension penalty?

I plan to cross over actively. This little, is what I know for now.
Old 20th July 2015, 07:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggsson View Post
the boxes gets really, really large. I know that you with BiBs can tune them lower than Fs, down to approx. Fs x 0.7. How is it upwards? If I go from Fs33 Hz up to Fs45 Hz I get box sizes my apartment can handle. I would like to know if there is a penalty in doing this before I try to simulate some more? I guess there will at least be some bass extension penalty?
In every type of cabinet, Hoffman's Iron Law applies: loud, low, or small, choose two.
Old 21st July 2015, 07:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
In every type of cabinet, Hoffman's Iron Law applies: loud, low, or small, choose two.
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that it is only the given hight that is a problem with using the drivers fs. For the 33Hz that is the drivers fs, the corrected height (int.) is 104.38". That is too high then my roof is only 7.9 feet. So I was hoping that I could tune the box with a fs between 41-45 Hz instead as I reckon that around a hight of 6.5 feet would do it? As long as I can adjust the height, I have no problem with the WxD.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

How tall can you build your BiB when the ceiling is only 7.9 feet before it starts to mass load?
Old 22nd July 2015, 05:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggsson View Post
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that it is only the given hight that is a problem with using the drivers fs. For the 33Hz that is the drivers fs, the corrected height (int.) is 104.38". That is too high then my roof is only 7.9 feet. So I was hoping that I could tune the box with a fs between 41-45 Hz instead as I reckon that around a hight of 6.5 feet would do it?
If you add another fold, the height for 33Hz could be around 70".

Hide this!Advertise here!