Vance Dickason Studio Monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at building the Vance Dickason LDC6 Studio Monitors listed on Parts Express' DIY centre pages. These use some decent Scan Speak drivers and certainly look the part.

My question is does anyone know if they will be suitable for main speakers initially as they are? and later as front channel speakers for surround.

Will they "generally" have enough bass?? (i know that's subjective but how else do I ask!!) or will I need a sub???

Anyone built them???

Cheers

I haven't heard them, but in LDC6, the author says that "the Qtc = 0.92 R19 version was better suited for standalone listening, although we both noticed the somewhat enhanced clarity of the 703-stuffed version. This version is probably best-suited for use with a subwoofer."

The version with the Owens-Corning 703 fiberglass is spec'd as having box Qtc = 0.75. Both Dickason and his associate Nancy Weiner "decided that the R19 stuffed version was all-around better-sounding".

YMMV, of course, but it looks like the version that da man and his friend prefer can stand alone, without a sub, in nearfield mix and monitoring applications. Will they "generally" have enough bass? That will depend on a number of factors - your listening room, types of program material, available power, etc.

HTH,

dooper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.