Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The umpteenth large format coaxial driver thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2015, 09:56 PM   #1
Adolf Corkscrew is offline Adolf Corkscrew  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default The umpteenth large format coaxial driver thread

Okay, I admit it. I'm stuck, and a search on this forum gave me no answer. I remember that large format coaxial drivers have been discussed here time after time, but apparently my search skills are subpar to say the least.

To cut things straight, what I want is a 15-inch PA coax driver capable of going nicely from at least 50Hz to 18kHz, and be able to do this with a passive crossover. Active crossovers, DSP:s and such are simply out of the question, since I would use the resultant loudspeaker system to evaluate amplifiers.

My current reference would be the BMS 12C362, which gives a lovely midrange and treble, but falls short at the bass department.

I've been looking at several drivers; BMS 15C362, B&C 15CX40 and Beyma 15XA38Nd to name a few. And what I've found out so far, is that the BMS isn't going to cut it down low, the B&C was declared "shouty" somewhere, and I've yet to find any complaints about the Beyma.

So, I would appreciate any input from anyone who has experience on this field. Where should I look? I just want a BR box, which doesn't sound boomy, and goes up from the lowest E of a bass guitar with real sense of force. Too much to ask? Oh, and I'd really appreciate it if it had at least most of the midrange resolution of the BMS 12C362...
Old 6th July 2015, 10:05 PM   #2
Inductor is offline Inductor  Portugal
diyAudio Member

COAX - 15" GPA 604E Series Ⅱ Alnico Super Duplex Loudspeaker
http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/down...ec%20Sheet.pdf
or something like this? (for fun) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4tFrs4Bex0
Hope it does help.
Old 6th July 2015, 10:16 PM   #3
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

best bang for the greenie , considering that you're in Europe , is Tannoy K3833 (3836) (they're more expensive in US)

take a look on my blog , search for Tannoy

with some luck , you can have decent system for relatively small amount of money
Old 6th July 2015, 10:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hmm... Maybe I should've stated that I wanted a current production driver that's easily obtainable... I understand that Tannoy drivers are near unobtainium these days?

edit: That GPA driver does look promising, though I've some perversion regarding that I'd like the bass/midrange cone acting as the horn for the tweeter. Still, I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited by Adolf Corkscrew; 6th July 2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 6th July 2015, 10:53 PM   #5
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

availability isn't a problem - adds and ebay

with mentioned Tannoy driver there is no gamble - simply no elements to deteriorate , as for most other older types
Old 6th July 2015, 11:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Availability is a problem. I look to make something I can - if I succeed, which isn't a given - recommend to random people around me with the same problem.

The easy way out would've been - admittedly - a pair of Tannoy Monitor Golds in a suitable cabinet. But they're not current production.

Sorry if it seems like I'm moving the goalposts...
Old 6th July 2015, 11:23 PM   #7
POOH is offline POOH  United States
diyAudio Member

15" coaxials typically aren't as good as the 12's so adding something like twin 15's below the 12 and biamping may be better.

+1 for the Tannoy. What's better?
Old 6th July 2015, 11:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOH View Post
15" coaxials typically aren't as good as the 12's so adding something like twin 15's below the 12 and biamping may be better.

+1 for the Tannoy. What's better?
As I stated in the opening post, any active solution is out of the question, since I want to be able to evaluate amps with the result.

The Tannoys are admittedly very good. But sadly they're not available as current production.

One of my ideas is just extending the response of the BMS 12C362 with an 18-inch bass driver in a 3-way. But I'm more compelled to design a 2-way with some currently available 15-incher...
Old 7th July 2015, 03:05 AM   #9
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolf Corkscrew View Post
..But I'm more compelled to design a 2-way with some currently available 15-incher...
It's a bad compulsion.

Done this way you are wasting a lot of efficiency on baffle-step compensation. (..unless it's being done "in-wall".)

2.5-way MINIMUM to maintain good efficiency.

Best practice is to have your co-axial from about 450 Hz up, and 2 mid-bass drivers below it to minimize floor bounce.

For a coaxial I'd go with this driver:

PHL Audio 1520 (8Ohm)

http://www.bvcam.com.hk/up_bin/2009828101513384.pdf

-along with:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...n-horn-driver/

..or a Radian 475, or even something as inexpensive as the larger 1" exit Celestion driver's.

..and,

-perhaps 2 of these wired in parallel:

FaitalPRO 12FH500 12" Neodymium Professional Woofer 16 Ohm

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 12FH500

..and yeah, I know it's not large format..

IF you want large format then please pair with a good horn, not a coaxial.

Last edited by ScottG; 7th July 2015 at 03:20 AM.
Old 7th July 2015, 04:05 AM   #10
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolf Corkscrew View Post
Availability is a problem. I look to make something I can - if I succeed, which isn't a given - recommend to random people around me with the same problem.
Modern Tannoy drivers can be had. Just buy the "in wall"/"in ceiling" models to avoid paying for a cabinet.

The umpteenth large format coaxial driver threadHide this!Advertise here!