loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With regards to easy hard, it depends on your level of competance, if youre a pro then anything is easy :D , but i feel that commend wasnt necessary, if your a pro at anything then its easy!.

OK rite, I would put etons in the middle frome easy to hard.

Easy is two drivers that have wide overlaps with benign cone breakup.

Hard is drivers that have small overlap with problematic response anomalies that require additional crossover attention. Etons from what I have heard require special attention to control cone break up, but other then that are ok to use.

As to characteristics, the drivers are meant to sound clean with good detail, transparency up with the best etc. I have heard a commercial system that used eton mids and thier ribbon tweet. This did sound very good, but then it should do as the asking price was very very large, cant remember the sum, but I laughed inside when I thought how much I could make a clone for:D , if I wanted to, thinking those poor poor consumer ppl paying soooo much for this. Even tho this was good nothing high end on the consumer market warrents its price.

Gotcha on the Etons. I guess my point is that I don't want to be dissapointed. I have studied the Avalons and at least one of them use the Eton woofer, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with that. And the other drivers they use are made for Bill Gate's budget only.
I have looked at the Scan Speaks but I don't think they will carry the mail like the Eton 11 inch woofer will, but I may be wrong.
I talked with Madisound about the Eton 11.2 sys. they sell but they couldn't help me because they havent built one yet.
So my search continues on .
thanks guys and keep the cards and letters coming :)
Konky

5th Element,

are you speaking about the ADAM studio monitors? I think they use a similar driver (if it is not the same altogether) based on the HEXACONE Kevlar sandwich principle. Their "Air Motion" tweeter also looks suspiciously similar to the ETON ER4. If they are indeed the same drivers then I can comment on their sound:
they appear as very fast, uncolored and neutral sounding. Many sound recording professionals consider them a new "standard" as mixes on these seem to translate extremely well to other systems - ie. WYHIWYG (what you hear is what you get).
Konky, check out the 7"s. Most of the ADAM studio monitors have one or multiples of this driver.
Cheers

:D

I really do not know what " adam" speakers are. The sys. I am talking about is sold by Madisound as a raw speaker "kit". It has a 11" woofer (hexacone), 5" mid (hexacone), softdome tweeter.I here that the Eton midranges are exceptional at definition and the woofers are very "fast", all of which translates into great possibilities if carried out properly. BUT , I have yet to here from anyone that has had real experience with these drivers. What I can say is that the much touted Avalon speaker sys. uses the Eton 11" driver for the woofer.
I am not sure if I want build another system after the ones that I have built over the years but I really would like to have my "ultimate" of my dreams before I die and making them is the only way I see that could happen.

ADAM and ETON

Hello Konky,
what I was trying to say was that if these are the same drivers that are used in the ADAM monitors (and there is a very good chance that they are) then the professional opinion about them is very high indeed. I also remember that a German DIY speaker magazin documented how to built their new "REFERENCE" speaker with all ETON drivers, incl. the ER4, the 7" midrange and a 11" woofer. This system got rave reviews. Based on all of these admittedly "subjective" views I would say that you are safe to consider the ETONs as excellent drivers. The 11-2 kit, however, does not feature the ER4 air motion tweeter, which is partly what will bring you closer to your "dream system" and sooner - hopefully before you fade into the netherworld.

Check it out at: http://home.snafu.de/adam-audio/

Attachments

• adam.jpg
    adam.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 778
Yes, now I understand what you ars saying about the ADAM speakers. Concerning the Eton 11.2 kit, would you say that I could safely eliminate the tweeter that comes with it and use the ribbon tweeter instead or should I use the ribbon along with the tweeter??
As I understand , the bass this woofer produces is tight and well controlled, much like a real musical instrument which is unusual for a lot of woofers.
MANY thanks for your professional input.

These speakers were made out of some wierd resonanty material that was suposed to resonate with the drivers movement but have very low stored energy. They were modular too, for instance you could buy the mid tweet combo and use that solo. Then at a later date add a high pass to the mid/bass with a bass box.

ETON on ADAM

I got a chance to heard to this ADAM Model last year during the NAB convention in LV.

The mid-woofer is made by ETON and sound very thigh and neutral to my ear.
I was quite impressed by the tweeter, very precise and quick to respond to transient.
The dispersion is also very wide, this a plus for mid-field monitoring.
The tweeter sound as the best Ribbon tweeter (like Raven) but with a wider dispersion.
The tweeter is manufacteured by ADAM and based on the same
patten and technology of the Eton tweeter.

I was enough impressed that I decided to start a project based on the ETON 7" and the ER-4 in a d'appolito configuration.
I bought my parts to Solen this fall.
I want to start my project later in march.

Michel

Konky,
I would say go with only the Ribbon Tweeter (ER4). This tweeter, however, has a relatively low sensitivity (around 88dB, as far as I remember), so it should match levelwise. Consider though that the crossover that comes with the 11.2 might need to be slightly adjusted. Another option would be to add another midwoofer like Michel suggests, but then you have a level mismatch. Perhaps for this reason I think The ADAM S 3A (two 7" + Ribbon) is not wired in a D'Appolito configuration but has one of the 7" running as a true mid/bass, the other as a bass only driven by its own amplifier (total three amps). Hope this helps.

Good luck, would love to hear how your projects turn out.

ETON ER-4

You're totally right about the ADAM monitor, one wooofer is tuned lower than the other.
My project is based on the Empire Eton kit (check the web link), I'm not worry about the sensivity fo the tweeter since I will use bi-amplification. I'll combine two speaker with two subwoofer based on Peerless XLS 12"+PR with their own amplifier.
I'll be happy if the tweeter could reproduce easily the reverb tail
:)

http://quarkconcept.free.fr/enceinte_kitit_etonempire.htm

Michel

Hey guys this forum is really great!!
About the Eton speakers; as it stands I will be using the 11 inch as the woofer, the7 inch as the mid and the ribbon tweeter. The ribbon tweeter that is mentioned I am not familiar with, so where do I find it? I also will have the crossover designed by someone other than me. Any suggestions of a good designer? How about madisound? LOADS of thanks!!!

Hello Konky,
I cannot remember the name right now, but will try to find it by early next week. I think I have it in my office. It contains detailed plans on how to DIY this "reference" system, with exactly the combination of speakers that you are interested in. BTW, Madisound sells all of them, including the ER4 tweeter (NOT cheap!).
Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.