CBT36 vs. LX-521 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CBT36 vs. LX-521

Hi all,

Has anyone here listened to both of them?
I've only listened to the LX521's. I was very impressed; I'm convinced I don't want point-source speakers any more.

I'm aware of their respective strengths on paper.. I was hoping someone here could describe their subjective differences.

The CBT36 is intriguing... but I wonder if it has weaknesses from using lower-cost drivers than the LX521 (having dozens of them to reduce distortion when playing loudly notwithstanding).

Do the CBT36's have a significantly wider sweet spot due to their slow falloff in SPL with distance? Do they also tend to sound better when far away from the sweet spot (e.g. from the kitchen in an open plan house)? How does their imaging compare? "Cleanness" when played relatively loudly?

I'm not concerned about the CBT's need for subs. I already have dipole subs. I got them to integrate very nicely with my current monopole speakers.

I'm also not terrible concerned about voicing and other mild easy-to-fix frequency response errors - that's easy to fix with the DSPs I plan to use.

TIA

Last edited by jasoncsbb; Yesterday at 11:40 PM.
Old Today, 04:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
I've listened to both and much prefer the lx 521. Better bass, more spacious, better tone. This was at burning amp 2012 or 2013 and I was only able to listen to my own music on the lx521's, so I would not consider this the word.
It should not be hard to find someone willing to have you over for a listen to the lx521's, I'm not sure about the cbt's.

Last edited by mordikai; Today at 04:36 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!