DIY Speaker Stands. Please post!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Considering this is the DIY loudspeaker forum and so many of you like building as much of your audio system as possible, I'm certain there are some nice speaker stands hiding out there!

So, the question is: Would anyone like to post theirs and give me some ideas? ;)

Thanks guys!

Altho I havent really built any stands, im sure that anything solid and well damped will suffice. Ie a mdf box filled with concrete or something along those lines. Just go for anything that you find attractive that can be made solid. Remember you dont want the thing to ring!

Here is something:
IMAGE567_small.jpg

Small speakers: 70mm schedule XXS seamless stainless steel construction process pipe (like used in chemical plants and refineries)

I wanted to fill them up with sand but they are already sooo heavy that I didn't. The cables are running through a 3/4 inch inner tube and the filter is in the footing of th stand. The loudspeaker is spiked to the top platform and is fastened with a spike tensioning system (patent pending:D )

The larger loudspeaker is actually standing on the stands of my rear speakers because they have not been build yet. It consist of 3 pcs 1.5" steel tubes with a threaded rod inside. If yiu take the top platform thick enoug (30mm) you can use brass plugs so the rods do not stick through te top platform.

wow, exactly what I hoped to see as well!!!

Those are some very good and professional looking stands! I also like the id of the filter in the foot of the stand.

Maybe a bit off topic, but is that the clofis GV1 at the right? WHat do you think of that speaker - honestly!

It is something based on the Clovis GV1. I liked the units and the woodwork of the GV1.

I wanted to make it in solid 30mm wood but the wood was to damn hard to saw with my 700w machine.

I improved on the original design. Biggest change is in the filter wich is now a serial filter. The serial filter improves the sound dramatically in this case, don't underestimate it.

Filters are inspired on the serials filters of the DD8 from Tony Gee and he helped with the measurements as wel

I also made a slanted design, changed the BR to front, reduced the net volume to 14,5 liter and mad a separerate chamber for the tweeter.

It sounds marvelous!:D , It was a lot of work but it was worth it.

Joseph audio has also used the bass unit in its original RM7 and they were considered much better than the B&W 905

"and now for something completely different"

The stands are made of wood bricks taken from a very old building. Many nail-holes make them look sweet ;)) The "foot" is a piece of metal. about 18 kg each. The picture is very old -- with my first-ever speakers.

Attachments

• pdst1_v1_th.jpg
    pdst1_v1_th.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,775
Check these out. I have made 2 pairs so far. They have transformed my active tannoys to speakesrs costing $500 to $1000 more once I coupled them to the stands with blue tack.

the top, column and bottom are made out of solid stone. Top and bottom are made out of Arosan (porous marble). The sides are solid walnut. Fairly easy to make and VERY SOLID when complete. The coupling to the floor is done through oak cones.

A word of warning, if you put them on anything soft, they will make a dent.

If you want more details, let me know.

www.mebel-custom.com

Attachments

• dscn0953web.jpg
    dscn0953web.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,731
Here is another variation on pipe stands. I cannot recall ever seeing anyone else who used copper, although I am sure it is not a new idea. I really like the color and sheen of it. I applied three coats of polyurethane and have not had any problems with tarnishing.

There is lead in the base and the pipes are filled with sand. They are spiked to the floor.

Attachments

• stands.jpg
    stands.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,717
Here are my stands, they are solid 32mm MDF all over, the inside piece is sprayed black and the whole thing is awaiting a polyeurathane spray that will darken the whole thing up and make it look nicer. the centre pieces are glued together with PVA and the top and bottom are screwed on with 4 long screws each. the whole thing is very rigid and can easily take my weight of 85kg.

Attachments

• my stands.jpg
    my stands.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,637
How do you attach bookshelf speakers to speaker stand? Is it better to screw them on, use spikes, or just sit them on?

It could well be a case of trying several and seeing if any one is the best.

For small speakers I would suggest sitting them on the stands with some sort of weight on top of the speaker. Experiment with anything heavy (a brick?) and if if makes an improvement, look around for an aesthetically acceptable weight like a heavy ornament.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.