Home theatre speaker question 7.1 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2015, 09:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Home theatre speaker question 7.1

Just a query regarding the importance of the rear effects and the surround speakers
We have only 6 of the Sansui speakers with the 155mm woofers and decent tweeters so we'd be a speaker short for 7.1 surround sound
If we decide to upgrade the HT Receiver which speakers are more important if we can't have them all the same?
These Sansui sets were great for 5.1 Dolby matrix and are the baby brothers to the Hi-Fi speakers that Sansui used to sell, the surrounds are OK for computer use so won't go to waste
I can't remember what model these speakers are but when i find them i'll post the information
Old 20th June 2015, 12:36 PM   #2
keilau is offline keilau  United States
diyAudio Member

Your description is a little confusing for what you already have.

Are those 6 Sansui identical with the same "155mm woofers and decent tweeters"? How were they used in your 5.1 setup?

For either the 5.1 or 7.1, you need to have a subwoofer. Do you have a decent one that goes deep enough in bass and match the fronts well in sound quality? Do you listen in 2.1 when listening to really high quality music instead of theater surround?

Generally speaking, I will consider the front two and center speakers the most important. Get the best you can afford and put them there. The surround, back and back center speakers are a little less demanding. The exisiting Sansui may be suitable for these purpose.
Old 20th June 2015, 01:01 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

In my book the LCR's are the most important and take the brunt of the power.
The rears less so in 5.1 and even less so in 7.1 in terms of SPL handling.

E.g. if you had these as the front LCR's : Zaph|Audio - ZDT3.5 ,
2 6.5" MT's should do as rears for 5.1, and 4 5" MT's as rears for 7.1.

rgds, sreten.
Old 20th June 2015, 03:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sorry fellers
My first set of HT speakers were this "Set" of Sansui speakers.
Typical 1990s array with big main speakers using a 155mm woofer and a 25mm silk dome. a twin woofer front using the horizontal MTM using 110mm woofers and a 20mm silk tweeter with the surrounds being using the same little 110 woofer and 20mm silk tweeter in MT vertically

I've never been happy with the audio balance; to me the sound is always much clearer when all speakers are exactly the same
I've just bought another set of these Sansui and have 6 of the main L&R units

Not enough speakers for 7 channel audio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0547.JPG (131.6 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0548.JPG (119.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0549.JPG (123.9 KB, 146 views)
Old 20th June 2015, 03:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm using the old surrounds for my computer speakers and up close they are OK when driven with a clean amp; in this case the little Alesis RA 100, SWMBO uses the same little speakers for her computer but with the added passive first order sub under her desk
Old 20th June 2015, 03:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

So back to the question
Do I stay with 5.*** or update the amp to 7.*** and try and find one more matching speaker or is it "OK" to substitute a pair of something with a similar timbre; FR&C will all be the same Sansui large; in which case which of the 4 remaining speakers is the best to substitute?
The surrounds or the rears??

Also these speaker drivers have identical dimensions to the Peerless they look like and quite big magnets etc and potted caps not cheap electrolytic capacitors.
Sold for $400- a set in 1999 until Sansui went belly up here and they were cleared out at $199- which is what I paid

Last edited by Moondog55; 20th June 2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Add an extra sentence with more information
Old 21st June 2015, 11:10 AM   #7
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Moondog55,
If you can find the speakers, look for two more of the MTM centers for the front three. Set a pair vertical, one horizontal (all ear level), then you'll have a noticeable improvement/upgrade.
Also there will be plenty of speakers to go around for the 7.1.

Last edited by ODougbo; 21st June 2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 21st June 2015, 12:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

They don't sound as good as the bigger units tho
I've tried that setup F R & C already and wasn't impressed after listening for a while

If I do use them in the new set-up where would you recommend?
Old 21st June 2015, 12:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you're asking about the Importance of using rear speakers, I have a strong opinion that while watching a flat screen, sound coming from the rear doesn't make any sense..
Old 21st June 2015, 12:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
If you're asking about the Importance of using rear speakers, I have a strong opinion that while watching a flat screen, sound coming from the rear doesn't make any sense..
?
you will need to explain that one to me Joel
Rear speakers in my set-up are behind the seating, surrounds are level with the seating and the other speakers fire towards the seating area.
Where else would you get the spatial information about attacks/explosions/ crashes etc from the back??

Hide this!Advertise here!