Time to finish (veneer) my speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I would like to hear some ideas and maybe even see examples of how I could finish my set of speakers.

Maybe someone could photoshop them for me ? I would like to see how they would look in dark red wood veneer all the way around, and also how they would look with a blank front instead of veneer (maybe leather?).

thank you.

larger picture of the top section - http://www.sacgti.com/speakers/tm-section.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Finishing

Hey man, nice looking speakers. There are a few options that I know of. For my projects so far I have either used a primer then a specled paint (spray on) or a primer and a black matte coat. The matte coat looks really good when you use an orbital sander to round off the edges.

The other option, albeit harder and possibly suggesting the use of a cabinet maker, is to give them a piano gloss finish. I think you apply some sort of black bass, then sucessivly apply clear lacquer, buffing at each step. The other alternative is to apply veneer, then perform the same lacquer application steps. Example of these later 2 suggestions can be found at www.tidal-audio.de, under "cabinet finishes"

Good luck and God Bless,

Philip

If they are MDF (looks like it) you could do what I did with my TLs - give them a coat of primer - I used ordinary emulsion coloured dark grey with cheap black acrylic paint (sanded smooth). Then use a small foam roller to apply several coats of black enamel gloss, the kind of paint used for kids' wooden toys. The cost of giving my S3TLs (just a bit smaller than yours) a 'piano lacquer black effect' was just under £5GBP and it looks fantastic.

The effect on your cabnets may be something like this...

Edit - sorry the pic is so small, for some reason the max file size I can attach is only 100k!

Attachments

• tmw3.jpg
    tmw3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 512
Thank you! I appreciate your response , still kinda deciding on what I want to do with them. I was thinking about possibly changing the shape a little bit to make it look a little better ...

They are made out of 1" mdf with butt joins and titebond glue. Top cabinets have 1 vertical brace , bottom cabinets have two braces forming a "T" shape inside the cabinet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.