Rocks for DIY diffuser panels? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2015, 11:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rocks for DIY diffuser panels?

I was trying to convince my girlfriend to let me put diffuser panels in our living room with pictures when she saw one she thought she liked that she thought looked like a bunch of rocks of varying size, but it was really just stepped wood and she said can you make it out of rocks so it looks nice and my first reaction was to say no, but then I realized, I think rock reflects sound pretty well and the different angles would help diffuse it. I wonder if this would actually work. So does anyone know if this would actually work? lol

Also I didn't see a sound treatment section so figured this was the next best place
Old 5th June 2015, 12:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would first measure your room with your speakers in place to see if there are any bad spots ( nodes ) before moving lots weight around. Pick up a Parts Express ( or similar ) room / speaker measuring system and find out if there any problems exist.

It can be very creative and effective using various size rocks as a diffusers but may require using cement and placement at various heights on the wall(s).
Old 5th June 2015, 06:21 AM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Rocks? Rocks you say? No, that could never work.
Caveman Speakers. The Troglodytes.
Old 5th June 2015, 07:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Not rocks as such but there are a lot of special effects paints out there
My favourite diffusers [ which SWMBO will not permit ] are the big pressed wood pallets, i have seen them painter with the special iron Oxide paint to look like rust cast iron and they look great and work too
Old 5th June 2015, 08:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Rocks actually sound quite promising. Got a photo of the diffuser she liked?
Old 5th June 2015, 06:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiesnmacs View Post
I was trying to convince my girlfriend to let me put diffuser panels in our living room with pictures when she saw one she thought she liked that she thought looked like a bunch of rocks of varying size, but it was really just stepped wood and she said can you make it out of rocks so it looks nice and my first reaction was to say no, but then I realized, I think rock reflects sound pretty well and the different angles would help diffuse it. I wonder if this would actually work. So does anyone know if this would actually work? lol

Also I didn't see a sound treatment section so figured this was the next best place
Man NEVER let your girlfriend go and never stop listening to here she is your audio auricle.
Old 6th June 2015, 01:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Google diy sound diffusers and find that there are many variations of shapes and materials. I use ( made ) Skyline diffusers from various lengths of 2" square cedar stock. They work very well and look nice plus you can make them any size you need.

If you are going to stick with "rocks" try using flagstones of various sizes.
Old 6th June 2015, 01:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Also google Hooblerstone
Old 6th June 2015, 02:35 AM   #9
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Pano is hiding his lamp under a bushel here, IMO.

That is SOME acoustically treated room...

Click the image to open in full size.

There have been some ideas about using battens in random prime number lengths for some treatments of diffusers, like 2,3,5,7,11,13,17. Can't remember how 0 and 1 fit into the scheme.

But I think it's worth remembering that the diffuser or damping material is only effective near and above the half wavelength. Which for 3kHz is 5 cm.

Nevertheless, I do remember the Solid Bond recording studio near Marble Arch, used by Paul Weller, which had a rocky wall behind the recording band and microphones, and heavy drapes and stuff at the listening end. Apparently you need a live end and a deadish end for good sound.

For all that, listening to forward pointing speakers might be the opposite requirement. Maybe you need the rocks behind the listeners?

Last edited by system7; 6th June 2015 at 02:39 AM.
Old 6th June 2015, 03:00 AM   #10
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

This is a good idea. The point of a diffusor is to be random, the more depth and larger overall dimensions, the lower in frequency it's effective, so go big as you can.

But yes, it will be a good solution.

Hide this!Advertise here!