My TL speakers with dual Vifa P17 and Heil tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Even if they aren't done yet here are the first shots of the speakers I'm building with a friend.

It is a transmission line with dual Vifa P17-Wj-008 and a AMT tweeter..

Seems that I can't link from my web disk...:dead: gotta try setting up a photo hosting..

Cheers

Andrea

Attachments

• spaccato.jpg
    spaccato.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,462
Houston, we've got a problem....

Hello,
testing my speakers I found them a little bass-shy, thing that I didn't expect at all in a TL with a dual woofer.
So I started investigating and set-up a Speaker Workshop testing jig.

The first surprise was the impedance measurement: the "nominal" fs of the drivers is 37 Hz, altough a more realistic value seems in the 40-45 Hz range.

The drivers installed in the enclosure gave this curve: I am a bit puzzled... 67 Hz? Where does this come from?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Andrea

Attachments

• impedance.jpg
    impedance.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 904
azira said:
Over stuffed? I found that when I added too much stuffing in the MJK worksheets, the TL behaved kind of like a sealed box or atleast an infinite baffle. Maybe try removing the stuffing and measuring it to get a baseline comparison.
--
Danny

I tried removing the stuffing from the rear chamber and now the bass seems more present, however the impedance peak stays there.
In addition the midrange response now seems more coloured...

The funny thing is that the stuffing has been made exactly as the instructions of the TL6 kit (that inspired my job) suggested.

What else should I do?

Cheers

Andrea

Attachments

• stuffing.jpg
    stuffing.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 854
Hi Andrea
Try with removing all stuffing from chamber behind drivers, just cover inner walls with heavy damping, like green felt mat for carfloors or such, to eliminate midrange reflexes. Then play it, loudly, for a while see if drivers "break in" after a few days.
Stuffing of a tl may be troubblesome and its easy to get to much "blockage" of the pipe and then it wont work as a tl at all.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ingvar ahlberg said:
You would not want the crossection area of the pipe to be below area of driver (2x6,5").

Martin & George's parallel TL models have exploded a lot of TL myths... a very rough rule of thumb guideline is that the cross-section (at least at the start) should be 3 x Sd. This is very rough because the actalu cross-section has nothing to do with Sd, but is related to Vas.

dave

Dave!
Took a glance at Your impressive homepage, will keep a lower profile on this subject, seems to be a lot i did´nt know. Will read all there is on this site thou, but maybe You could give some guidance, i use a pair of RCF L12P48 in closed 130 l cabinets. Very good but powercraving bottom end, linear to about 20Hz in our musicroom. These drivers were regarded as very suitable for tl but i´ve never tried. Since we replaced the Schmacks houses we´ve gotten used to the extra space so i would like to stay below 500l per cabinet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.