20hz-20Khz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A month ago I bought a set of Labtec headphones. On the package it read: "Frequency Response: 20hz-20Khz". Now headphones aren't like speakers where you can kind of tell by looking at them, what they're going to sound like, so I bought them. I plugged them in and played a song, there was NO low end at all. I had to turn up the equalizer +20dB @ 60hz to get any kind of bass out of them and even then, they couldn't hit 40hz for anything. Also, the ground wire came loose in the headphone. How do manufacturers get away with lying so blatantly? I'm a bit wary when I see "20hz to 20Khz" on anything. It seems that's what consumers are looking for so mfg's just stamp that on the box. It strikes me as a little odd that different speakers with different characteristics all have the same frequency response. I'm more likely to buy something that says "23hz to 24Khz (-3dB)" because to me that means the product was actually tested. Now on a more positive note, I bought a set of titanium diaphragm headphones from RadioShack with a frequency response of "15hz to 25Khz" and I was thoroughly impressed. Car manufacturers aren't allowed to publish false horsepower figures so why are makers of "subwoofers" the size of lunchboxes allowed to claim they can hit 20hz? I just sent a complaint letter to Labtec, I'm waiting for a response.

I know Labtec isn't known for it's audio but that's why we have specs. The frequency response should be -3dB. NOBODY should be able to claim specs like that unless they're true.

Sure, it "responds" at 20Hz but not at a level you can hear. Isn't that like drivers that have a LF rating below the Fs?

Well I am designing a ported box for a sub with an FS of 30 and it will have an F3 of 22hz, so it's possible sometimes. You'll definately be able to hear that. Actually in sealed boxes, the F3 is WAY above Fs.

I know Labtec isn't known for it's audio but that's why we have specs. The frequency response should be -3dB. NOBODY should be able to claim specs like that unless they're true.

I agree. Unfortunately there's more deceptive marketing in audio than most others.

Well I am designing a ported box for a sub with an FS of 30 and it will have an F3 of 22hz, so it's possible sometimes. You'll definately be able to hear that. Actually in sealed boxes, the F3 is WAY above Fs.

I'm thinking "free air" FR ratings. It's possible I'm thinking the wrong way here but it seems odd to rate the FR of a driver as lower than the Fs. Sure the driver responds but is it usable?

Sennheiser defines what they mean by frequency response as follows:
"Frequency response (headphones) The frequency response of a pair of headphones is given within limits defined by the manufacturer."

hehehe unfortunately they don't define what the limits are. BTW: they claim the FR of the HD650's are 10-39500 Hz.

The HeadRoom site shows measurements for a variety of headphones. Though it may be more confusing--there are graphs using various sample rates and smoothing, etc.

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=10

HD600 (with heavy smoothing of the data)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've seen unsmoothed and lightly smoothed data (it looks like a roller coaster ride--same with all the other headphones, Sonys, etc.).

AKG does refer to industry standards for headband pressure and SPL rating.
http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave,mynodeid,186,pid,249,id,249,_language,EN,_view,specs.html

But no standard for FR or THD. hehehe...if anyone has a clue what usefullness 0.05% THD means (with out a specified frequency--this is for Sennheiser and yes, it's probably 1khz), I'd like to know. Is this 0.05% at only one frequency? Headphones and speakers mfgs are a bit slippery with the specs...

JF

I'm thinking "free air" FR ratings. It's possible I'm thinking the wrong way here but it seems odd to rate the FR of a driver as lower than the Fs. Sure the driver responds but is it usable?

Well, for example, this sub's Fs is 30hz. In a sealed box, the F3 point is 55hz. In a ported one, it's about 22hz. At 22hz and 250w, the ported box should produce 121dB (8x as loud as the sealed box at that frequency), I'd say that's quite usable.

I agree. Unfortunately there's more deceptive marketing in audio than most others.

Such blatant lies wouldn't be tolerated in any other industry, why audio then? Just because nobody complains? This isn't the first time I've been burned by false audio specs. I put together a computer system for my uncle and I bought an amplified speaker system based on specs. What I bought was supposedly 25wx2 speakers + 50w sub. The "sub" was no bigger than a chinese take-out container and couldn't hit 150hz to save its life.

hehehe unfortunately they don't define what the limits are.
Well, RadioShack did: "15hz-25Khz (-3dB)" I'm listening to them right now and they sound great.

johnferrier said:
Sennheiser defines what they mean by frequency response as follows:
"Frequency response (headphones) The frequency response of a pair of headphones is given within limits defined by the manufacturer."

hehehe unfortunately they don't define what the limits are. BTW: they claim the FR of the HD650's are 10-39500 Hz.
JF

I can see where the guy who purchased the Labtec's would be disappointed. Regarding the Sennheiser's, I scored a very comfortable pair of brand-new HD 470's on Ebay for less than $20. Euro-made even (Ireland). They have some pretty punchy bass for an open design. The people in the next cube over have had comments about the noise!

Solid Snake said:
[...] Car manufacturers aren't allowed to publish false horsepower figures so why ...

Oh but car manufacturers do lie about horsepower. I've got a car (2002 Camaro) that the manufacturer rated at 320 horsepower. They rated the same engine at 345 horsepower in a Corvette. This year's Corvettes have the same engine, but now the rating is 350 (which is about right). Next year 360?

Don't matter none to me. It still go zoom.

Very true. The Camaro has a detuned LS1. Audi and VW do the same thing with the 1.8T, It's nothing new. Anyway back to audio...

This would be my ideal rating system that not even the most dishonest mfg could fudge... It would consist of three numbers.

1. The maximum loudness of the system @ <1%THD in dB.
2. The low end frequency which is -3dB from the loudness specified above.
3. The high end frequency which is -3dB from that same loudness.

The guys that designed that lunchbox "subwoofer" could possibly state it goes down to 20hz, but would also have to give a dB value no more than 3dB higher than at 20hz. 20hz @ 3.3dB doesn't sound too great does it?

Every product should come with, or have availible, a data sheet with graphs and test conditions much like the semiconductor products we're all so used to.

However, that isn't likely to happen, so the best bet is before making a purchase on something like headphones, to read reviews from other people that own them. Of course thats all opinion based and is certainly not optimal but its the best we've got. The other option is to try out products and return them if you are unsatisfied. I think this is how the future will work.

Pete

About the camaro...the LS1 motor in your camaro is the same block as in the corvettes, but not the same complete engine.
As said before, computers can be programmed for different air/fuel ratios, igniting timing, etc etc. The heads can be different, throttle body, and on and on.
Your motor is STILL an LS1, but not the same as in a Corvette. Both HP ratings are very accurate I'm sure, at the least they can be underrated or dead-on.
Also having different transmissions and rear ends will have a huge impact on power and speed at the wheels.:smash:

Religion
Politics
Big Business

hey now,dont go starting controversial topics about faith and beleif-oh wait,thats what audio is about! (to some :) )
It isnt heaven here,its earth, Speaker manufacturers lie, Car mnfctrurs lie, people lie, sin,corruption, badness, scumbags,whats new
:cannotbe:

Join JBL :angel:
my 15" 2226 never fails to please ,even with 20watts only for abit..
;)

Attachments

• copy of picture.jpg
    copy of picture.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 113
Solid Snake said:
Very true. The Camaro has a detuned LS1. Audi and VW do the same thing with the 1.8T, It's nothing new. Anyway back to audio...
Sorry... I wanted to clear this up, since this is an area that I can actually add a valuable contribution to!

The LS1 in the Camaro and the Corvette is exactly the same. It's not detuned at all in the Camaro. The only difference is the exhaust system, and the throttle linkage (the corvette uses drive-by-wire, while the camaro still uses a cable). Otherwise, the motor is the same.

Dyno tests have shown that the average camaro puts down 285-305 horsepower to the rear wheels. Corvettes tend to dyno right in the same window, sometimes even less due to additional drivetrain losses. Those are rear-wheel horsepower numbers, which puts crank horsepower ABOVE their rated 345/350 numbers.

Lieing about a junk frequency response is a whole lot different than under-rating your horsepower. Nobody would complain if their prized 8 watt tube amp actually put out 10 watts. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.