Anyone familiar with Gale 401's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
G'day All, first timer, so please be kind.
Recently bought a set of Gale 401c's, external condition great for their age, unfortunately that's where it ends. The hf's are some inferior garbage. The original tweeters in these were Celestion HF 2000's, which are impossible to find in Australia and just about everywhere else. Seas recommends their 19TFF1 H0737 as a HF 2000 drop in replacement, anyone familiar with just how compatible they would perform?
One of the Peerless mid range has recently ceased to function as well, can these be repaired?
Any information you could provide would certainly be gratefully received.
Thank you all.

Firstly let's get everybody on board about one of the best yet most flawed speakers ever made.

The Gale 401C:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It came with handsome chrome caps on the ends too. The 401A IIRC. Two Acoustic Research style 8" low Qts bass units wired in parallel and using acoustic suspension aka heavily stuffed closed box. A lively peerless 4" mid with a little cuppy enclosure and a celestion HF2000 tweeter.

Flawed because the impedance went horribly low around 3 ohms, and tended to fry amps. Good, because it had huge slam in the bass and a detailed mid and top end.

At heart it's your regular three way.
SEAS-3-Way-Classic

Restoring them is a labour of love:
Gale GS401 Re-foam Project

We discovered some problems with the published crossover schematic which I corrected out of the goodness of my heart.

If it was me, I wouldn't spend time trying to rustle up replacement components. I'd adapt that Troels Gravesen design to update the box. It's really not hard to double up basses and wire them in series. You just double inductance and resistance in the bass filter and halve capacitance. The Gale was closed box, so I guess you can reuse the original woofers if they are still working.

Whatever, it's doable. You could end up with a better speaker. :)

Attachments

• Gale 401C Crossover.PNG
    Gale 401C Crossover.PNG
    89.1 KB · Views: 624
  • Gale 401C Restored MartinT.jpg
    Gale 401C Restored MartinT.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,816
Last edited:
there are many Gale 401 owners in Australia, particlulary WA, who could help. There is also at least one expereinced restorer in Perth worth hunting down and I am sure there are original spare drivers floating around with 401 owners. The place to start looking/posting is Stereonet Australia (SNA). Search and you will find all you need I am sure. Good luck
Alan

Thanks a lot guys for some very informative info. The common opinion I seem to gather is that these are worthwhile restoring to their original specs, I haven't heard of any rebuild using non original speakers, seems that Gale got it right with the celestion, peerless and A R combo. Its a daunting prospect, attempting to source these speakers, especially the celestions. Guess it'll keep me busy for a while. Thanks again for the information and articles, much appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.