School project - teacher's pet might get lucky... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2015, 02:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default School project - teacher's pet might get lucky...

So, I've got this d-class amp and a wireless streaming setup and a pair of Cerwin Vega triaxial car speakers...

What (apart from using them as a boat anchor or to prove Newton was right when he invented gravity) can I do with them?

My wife needs some sort of speaker setup for her classroom (third world country, no budget, no AV) but she teaches at two rural schools about 10km apart - she alternates mornings and afternoons at each school.

So, she wants something reasonably portable.

Of course I could just go down the market and buy her a cheap ghetto and be done with it... but that is no fun.

I was thinking something like a 'party speaker' - one box, built in amp, psu, receiver/streaming server/CD player (I have a TON of old PC CD players... who knew we would stop using them?) but haven't got a clue where to start with a box to house the speakers.

Now, if I get it right, the wee little impoverished kiddies might get to listen to some hard-core sing-along toons and there's a chance I might get lucky with teacher, so there's two very good reasons to make something work.

Any help or lewd comments gratefully received - but sorry, no pics of said teach will be provided.
Old 15th May 2015, 07:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

For those car speakers and because you want it to be as portable as possible just a small open backed box just big enough on the front to house the driver; loosely filled with batting and screened with wire mesh at the back. A bracket on each speaker box that attaches to the amp part but that allows speaker separation when playing.
Quite a few party boom box projects documented here if you search
Old 15th May 2015, 07:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

P:S I don't do lewd [ well not in public anyway] I do "LOUD"
Old 15th May 2015, 07:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

That's cos your from Geelong - Go Cats!

Thanks. So no need for anything tuned, then?
Old 15th May 2015, 10:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Brilliant thread, I applaud you.
Old 15th May 2015, 10:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootalaws View Post
That's cos your from Geelong - Go Cats!

Thanks. So no need for anything tuned, then?
Not doing well this year are they?
Car speakers usually don't really need a box; fitting as they normally do in the doors. But without the specific model that was just an informed guess. Usually they are high Qts drivers so open baffle/no box is OK
Old 15th May 2015, 10:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

They are these: Cerwin-Vega Stealth SS-2683 Stealth Series 5"x7"/6"x8" Speakers at Crutchfield.com
Old 15th May 2015, 11:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm building something very similar for my sons room for playing audio books at night.

I bought a sheet of mdf and got them to cut it into 420mm x 180mm sections, which I will cut out 2 mounting holes for the speakers on one of the sheets.

I will be using a raspberry pi for content as I have one spare anyway and runeaudio to play it (content comes from my NAS).

I bought a cheap t class amp off ebay.

I will be using this to power it: LEICKE ULL ITX Pico PSU Power Supply 120W 12V 10A 5.5*2.5 mm | Compatible with LED Strips, TFTs & LDC Displays: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Using DC/DC Converter Module 12V To 5V 3A With USB Output Power Adapter 15W Regulator | eBay to step down the power for the pi

Got one of these HDMI to VGA + 3.5mm Jack Audio Cable Video Converter Adapter PC Laptop Xbox DVD | eBay to see if the sound with that is any better than the on board audio, probably not but it was cheap so thought I'd give it a go.

Last edited by Kode; 15th May 2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 15th May 2015, 12:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yep Open back box
Cheap and cheerful speakers
Old 15th May 2015, 12:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
Yep Open back box
Does it matter if the back is enclosed, don't really want my son to mess about with the insides?

Hide this!Advertise here!