Eton 32 Hex woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've always wanted to build some speakers out of Eton drivers. Now I think I can get some at a resonable price, they're model 3-372-32HEXb. The ones on this website http://www.epochgraphics.com/diablo/speakers/. They're the ones without the heatpipe. Is this heatpipe really important? I assume it disapates heat and causes the drivers to have more powerhandling or not blow. Is this a cause of concern when buying these drivers?

Also anyone know any designs that use the 3-372-32HEXb or the 8-472-32HEXb?

I was thinking maybe they were some earlier model that Eton came out with that was experiencing problems, so they had to add that heatpipe. Which I would think most people would find esthetically unappealing, so perhaps it's the other way around or they have two versions.

I can't decide between the 3-372-32HEXb and the 8-472-32HEXb. One is 7" and one is 8". I can't find any designs for either, well no DIY websites or desings. They both cost the same at $75 a piece. I think with the 8" version I might have to build a 3 way (plus sub) with a softdome midrange, so I'm leaning towards the 7" woofer. Anybody got any comments?

I read somewhere that the larger cones seemed to suffer a bit form the material being so stiff. But now I couldn't find the link, I'll add it if I find it. I have also wondered why the exact model is nowhere to be found. Maybe they are custom made for a certain speakermanufactor.

I bought two 7" yesterday, and the seller shipped it right away.

Variac said:
comments? hell yeah!:
What's the avatar? It seems so familiar but I can't place it.

Some how I remember that they were vicious?

The website address I got it from doesn't exist anymore. I think it matches my personallity perfectly. My Brazilian friend tells me it looks like one of Brazil's animals that has no ears (forgot the name).

As for the speakers, maybe I will try to design my own x-over for them with either a scan speak D2905/9500 or the Vifa TX25TG, but I predict it will be a disaster. I tried to build a microphone out of a panasonic capsole before (it didn't work for some reason I couldn't figure out) for the purpose of testing the FR and designing a x-over. I guess I already kind of have the FR of a slightly different version of these woofers.

Dear All,

I am at this time building a pair of speakers using ETON drive units.

2 off bass 8" in a vented enclosure.
1 off mid using a 5" in a sealed enclosure
1 0ff 3/4 " tweeter in the mid enclosure.

Slightly bigger boxes than Wilson Watt and Puppy.

Cabinets nearly finished. Prototype passive x overs built. I have also bought a behringer active x over to see what that does.

Will provide more info when they are done and dusted.

I hope they will have ben worth the cost and effort.

regards David

:smash:

I have purchased a pair of Eton 8-800/37 woofers and some MB Quart MCD 25 tweeters.

I plan on using a similar version of the Eton 8.1 x-over, here's the link http://madisound.com/eton8_1.html (bottom link is better if you have pdf) My question is when Eton recommends the gauges for the inductors, do you think those are minimum gauges or they're the exact gauges you need to use for the x-over.

Here's the link to the Eton 8.1 x-over on their website http://www.eton-gmbh.de/dlstream.php?FileId=75&PHPSESSID=84f5c1a343514c91503dd99a2413877d

I just recieved the specs on the 7" woofer/mid form the seller. However those specs suggests using the driver in a ported box, and that is not what I inteand on doing. So when I do the calculations for the closed box volume i get 3,5 Liters as the best volume. This seems extremely low for a 7"?! My main objective is to get an extremely fast speaker. But I would also like for it to reach a bit deeper... So what my questions is: Altering the volume from 3,5 Liters to 8,5 Liters, will that change the speed og the driver radically?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.